Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi All longtime reader -- first time poster =),

I'm working on a project that requires a dynamic flash nav with movieclips as buttons, (links & button labels in an array) to control a standard (noframes) website.

Each link opens a new browser window. I kno, I kno, "use _root, or _self, or _parent". OK well I have, and it doesn't work. Either I'm applying it in the wrong place, or the wrong way.

So here's what I'm asking-->
    1) Which of the "_self", "_parent", "_this" do I use
    2) Where do I apply the above paramater? In the array (where the link is) or in the loop that duplicates the movieclips and applies the links?

Hopefully someone has done this before, and I'm not totally on my own here. I really appreciate all the help I've received here in the past. U folks are AMAZING!

Jayrok
    d1018

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey,

Well, in your action to open up the window
    on(release){
    getURL("url.html", TARGET);
    }

However, if you don't put a target, then it will open up in the same window. Try not putting the target, and see if that works. If it doesn't work, try posting your .fla file and I'll take a look!

Heather
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Thanx heather, but as I mentioned in my original post, the nav is dynamic. Everything is loaded on the fly thru actionscript and that won't work. I tried applying it in about 100 different places already, but that didn't go either.

Needless to say, I appreciate your quick reply. I actually figured it out yesterday in the wee hours of the morning. Thanx again tho
    Jay

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    well you mentioned that you had put a target in... i don't understand why you are saying that you can't put a target when you already said you tried a bunch of other targets that didn't work.
    if you would have posted your flash file i could have had a look at your actionscript. it is hard to be able to tell exactly what you are talking about when you don't post the file.
    oh well.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Wish you would reply with the answer you figured out.

_self should target the window in which the movieClip resides

_parent should target the parent frame or window opener (the window from which this window was opened)

_top should target the top-level frameset or window in a heirarchical chain.

If you're not getting these results with relative targeting, you might want to try naming your windows as you open them and targeting them by name.

Remove Ads