Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I am about to create a Flash only homepage for a website and one of the things I did initially was to create a mock-up of the homepage in Adobe Photoshop. The primary background of the homepage is black, but the buttons have a different colored pattern that changes when clicked. Also, I have photos that will fade in and fade out.

I understand that I will need to edit the photos in Photoshop and make them smaller and high quality enough for Flash. But if I am dealing with GIFs, and JPEGs instead of PICTs and Bitmaps, what settings should I save them in with the Web Compression option? (I have Photoshop Elements 2 with Web Compress)

Solid lines, the background color, and text can be created within Flash to keep the size of the movie down, right? What about buttons? Should I design navigational buttons in Photoshop and then import them into Flash like regular images? Or should I just completely rely on Flash's drawing program to create the buttons and save space? The idea for the buttons is to create a 1pixel by 1pixel checkered pattern, something that is very common and stylish for blog websites. When you rollover the button the color changes.

Thanks! I have Flash 5.

Member #
    Perhaps you can upload an image of your mock-up for us to see?

As for compression there's no single correct value that you can pick. It's all trial and error; you should try and get a good balance between the final image quality and the file size. I've never used Elements before, but if it's anything like Adobe's standard 'save for web' then near 60% works well for me.

If you designed the buttons in Flash you can in effect use one as a template by making it a symbol thus allowing you to reuse instances rather than a new one each time.

Remove Ads