Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I've seen this effect on a few sites recently. Kind of like the iPod advert.

I want to recreat the effect from a video of my daughts first steps. I'm wondering the best way to go about it. I could convert the video clip to JPEG fram by frame, then trace the outline frame by frame using the bezier tool, but at about 90+ frames this would take along long time.

Anyone know of any tools or techniques to speed the procecs up?

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    If there's a better process for this I'd also be interested in hearing.

Currently I've been exporting video through iMovie into still jpegs at 12fps in order to cut down on the number of frames.
    (I've not found a easily available PC equiverlent, but I suppose Premiere or Avid is just as capable.)

These would be loaded into Photoshop and have a few contrast filters applied to them using actions in order to get a sharper/cleaner edge. Then I'd use the same arduous process of tracing each frame with the Pen tool in a vector app. Auto-tracing utilities/features still aren't up to the job, I'd like someone to prove me wrong here though. :ermm:

Flick through the frames one at a tme and see if there are any that appear similar, in which case you can delete one and duplicate the previous path in order to make it. Alternatively try removing every other frame.
    1,3,5,7 etc.

Member #
    Try out some image thumbnailing programs. This may sound strange, but some of them actually have filters that you can apply to EVERY IMAGE, so apart from the main application of resizing images(which can easily be turned off) you can adjust other settings.

I forgot the name of the thumbnailing program that i *think* can do this, but if it comes back to me I'll post a reference.

Member #
    Though i'm not experienced in the programs, if you had something like Adobe Premiere or Vegas Video, (i think Adobe After Effects also), you can edit one frame, in a manner similar to photoshop, and it will apply it to every frame.

Of course, this is for the entire frame. You could do specific areas, but i think you'd be tracing masks anyway. haha, so nevermind.

Member #
    There is a tutorial on how to do exactly this somewhere on the net, I think I seen it on flashkit.com The tutorial had a dog in it....haha. This is the best I got, I tried looking for it, but couldn't find anything.

Somewhere out there, there is a sillhoutted dog tutorial waiting for you to look at, haha

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thnks minger, I'll have a look for it.

Remove Ads