Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    How can I get the down state of my flash created buttons to stay in the down state when the user is on that page? The buttons are to be the same color in the down state as they are on mouseover. I created individual buttons, and then created a movieclip for the whole navagation bar and set up frame labels, which have the loadMovieNum action assigned.

One tutorial suggests changing the button to a graphic on the appropriate frame, and changing the tint. However, this only works if the button is all text. My button has two layers - when I change the tint - it tints over the text as well as the button. Any ideas?

You can see the site at http://personalpages.tds.net/~wendyr

I hope I explained this ok, I'm relatively new to flash. Also, if you click the email link on the Contact Us page it brings up your default email program, but also opens a new browser window that has no page to display. Why would it open another browser page?

I appreciate any help, comments, or tips. Thanks in advance.

Member #
    I'm thinking that you are going to need to do this with movieclips and invisible buttons, as opposed to trying to do it with static graphics.

What you can do is create a movie clip of your button. Each state will be on a different keyframe, and there will be stop(); on each keyframe as well.

What you can do is then make a button with just a hit state. Make it the same shape are you buttons (which are now movie clips). When you place it on the stage, it should be like a light-blue transluecent color (this indicates that it's there, but invisible). Now, you will then need actions for your invisible buttons. Typically, you will have a hitTest to see if the mouse is over the invisible button (at least this is what I do). So it's something like this:
    if(this.hitTest(_root._xmouse, _root._ymouse)) {
    _root.button01.gotoandPlay(2);
    \\Where frame 2 in your movie clip is the over state
    } else {
    gotoandPlay(1);

Of course you will need a different instance of that invisible button for each movieclip. The only action that will change is where you change what button your telling to change frame. (i.e. the second button will be _root.button02.gotoandPlay(2);

Now I may ahve some syntax error there, but you should get the just of it. Now to accomplish what you're trying, I believe you can setup a variable to tell you what frame your on. So, after that code, have something like
    framenum = _root.frame
    if (framenum = 1) {
    _root.movie01.gotoandPlay(2);
    \\Where framenum =1 tells you that your on the page that the link is for and gotoandPlay(2) gives the movie the over state)
    }

I think this is how I would do it without static graphics. I am at work right now, if you would like an example file, I can do one later when I get off. Hope this helped a little though.

Member #
    minger's got it right.

you could also use _currentframe instead of framenum as well. you wouldn't have to call a variable with it, so it's one less line of code

Code:
    if (_root.movie01._currentframe == 1) {
    _root.movie01.gotoandPlay(2);
    }

Remove Ads