Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Flash Overhaul?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I've gotten some negative feedback recently regarding the flash animation on my homepage (http://www.transio.com ). People have told me that the images in the flash look pixelated, and that the flash itself seems to have no purpose.

I was thinking of overhauling the homepage anyway, because the images in the animation are reused images from throughout the site.

Do you guys have any ideas of what I could do? Should I add a music track?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd lose the eye or at least the orange from the eyeball itself. It looks kinda creepy. That may be what's throwing most people off about it. I don't think the images themselves are pixellated, but they are rather "stock-looking".

I'm not big on music tracks in Flash myself. it interferes with my ear when I'm listening to Jimmy. Never screw with my ear when Jimmy's on.

I've found that the Flash animation that was best received was the only one I've done without one (I replaced it with the sound of a camera clicking for the picture, since the client is a photographer). You may want to have a sound clip or series of them instead of a soundtrack, like people typing or a door opening or something.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Originally posted by transio
    Do you guys have any ideas of what I could do? Should I add a music track?
    NO music track... most people listen to music while surfing anyway, and having a music track via Flash or whatever usually results in the user being bombarded by some music that is louder than what it should be... VERY annoying - if you do that, I'll have to hunt you down and... well you figure it out :devious:

Personally, I see nothing wrong with your site as it is, but then I don't think the eye is creepy at all... just different (and unique)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Originally posted by TheGAME1264
    I don't think the images themselves are pixellated, but they are rather "stock-looking".
    That's interesting... you're about the third person who's told me that. The really funny thing is that those aren't stock photos... I took them myself. I was actually trying to get AWAY from the "stock look".

Go figure.

Member #
    Steve, I think it's Hip and edgy!

The pictures do however distract you from the text!

Alan

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Originally posted by transio
    That's interesting... you're about the third person who's told me that. The really funny thing is that those aren't stock photos... I took them myself. I was actually trying to get AWAY from the "stock look".
    That's because you didn't stand on your head when you took 'em. If you stood on your head when you took 'em, then they would have looked different. (Yeah I know you could have rotated them 180 degrees in just about any photo editing program but that's no fun! )

Seriously, maybe if you bent them out of shape a bit, you'd lose the "stock look". Rotate them 30-45 degrees. Distort them a bit. Stretch them. Stuff like that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads