Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,
    I am creating a flash site.

I am stuck on a page in which I have to upload external movie clip (swf) into main movie.
    I want to upload it at the specific location?
    By default it goes to the upper left corner. I want it in the center of the movie.
    Does anyone know how to do that?
    Thank you,

Member #
    I have not done this in a couple years, but the logic is intact. I think if you create a symbol (movie or button depending on if you want interaction) the same size as your external clip, you can place that symbol whereever, and have the actionscript call the url within the symbol.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    There are two ways to do this. Either you load the movie onto a layer, or into a movieclip.

The loadMovieNum way
    --------------------------------
    This by default loads into the upper left corner of the stage. When doing this, what you do is make your loaded movies the same size as the original. Then you add the code:
    loadMovieNum("movie.swf", X) where X is the layer that you put it on. 0 is on top of everything, 1 is below that, and so on and so on. I'm not sure how high that goes, but I've never heard of anyone "running out" of layers.

The loadMovie way
    --------------------------
    This is the way I prefer. I’m not sure why, but I just like it better, even though it seems most people use the method above. In this one, you load the movie into a movie clip. So…for this, I like to first create an empty movie clip. New Symbol > I usually name it emptyMC, then just go back to the stage. When you place it on the stage, it will simply appear as a circle with a cross in it. Give this MC an instance name, such as holder. Now the code:
    loadMovie(“movie.swf”, holder) where holder is whatever the instance is of your empty movie clip (note sometimes it may be necessary to use _parent.holder or whatever). Now, the loaded movie will loaded into the empty MC meaning that it will be on the same layer as your holder movie clip.

Now, if you’re going to be loading several movie clips into that one spot, make sure to unload the movie each time. In Flash, you don’t unload a movie itself, you unload the movie that’s in a holder, or a layer number. So, for the loadMovie() method, your button code would be:
    on (release) {
    unloadMovie(holder)
    //that unloads whatever movie is in the holder movieclip
    //likewise I THINK you can do unloadMovieNum(1) for the alternate method
    loadMovie(“whatever.swf”, holder)
    }

If you don’t do this unloading, all of the movies will be playing at the same time, and it will drag flash down quite a bit. Anyways, hope that helps.

edit: So to answer your one question about loading into the center. If you use the loadMovieNum method, make your loaded swf file the same size, and simply center the image or whatever on that stage. Or, if you’re using the loadMovie method, center your holder movie clip, then move it up and left half of your loaded movie size.

Remove Ads