Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey, Thanx for reading my post.
    Ok i have some flash which i would like edited. I asked my best friend but he couldnt do it either. Its just simple things like adding hyperlinks and mute music and ect.
    Im looking for someone who i can send the flash file. And what i would like done. And then to have to file sent back to me.

Is anyone up for this ?
    Im not sure what i could give you in return, Email me and we'll chat.
    robbiecraige@hotmail.com

Member #
    I doubt anyone will do the work for you. It will help you more if you learn it yourself. So, first off, why don't you specifically ask what you're trying to do? I’ll answer your link question.

To create a link, you first must have a button. There are three different types of symbols in Flash, buttons are one (the other two are movie clips and graphics, although graphics are hardly used). Buttons are the only symbol which can have mouse buttons attached to it. Movie clips can have different types of actions applied to it which can do all sorts of useful things, but I’ll keep it simple.

Now, the easiest way to create a hyperlink for text: First type your text and select it. Press either F8, or find on the menu bar “Convert into Symbol.” Choose button, and give the button a name. When you press enter, you will see the timeline has changed from frame by frame, to only 4 “frames.” These are the button frames. The first frame is how the button will look normally, the second is when the mouse is hovering over the button, and the third is while the mouse button is pressed. The last frame is a very important one, it is the hit area. This will be the area that the user will have to have the mouse in to be able to use the button actions.

Now, you will see that you only have the 1st frame with a keyframe on it (if you aren’t familiar with what keyframes are, then go into Flash help and start from the beginning). Now, the over, and down instances aren’t important right now (you can experiment with them later), but we will need to change the last hit area frame. Right now, the user would have to actually have the mouse touching the actual text (i.e. the white space in between would not count), which is entirely unacceptable. So, just take your rectangle tool, make sure that you have a fill color selected (it does not matter what color, this frame will not be seen, it only affects when the pointer changes to a hand, any color on this frame will become a part of the hit area), and drag a rectangle around your text.

Now, go back to your main timeline, or wherever you want to make the link. Drag the button from your library into the stage. Now right click it and click actions. You will now need to add actions to the button. Buttons can have mouse actions applied to them, so type on( right away you should a list of possible actions, these include but are not limited to press, release, dragOut, dragOver, so on and so on. We want to use release. The actual link part is done with a getURL() command. This can also be used to link to javascript and other things in the HTML page, but in this case, we will simply add a URL. Our final code will look like this:

on(release) {
    getURL(“www.whatever.com”)
    }

That’s all there is to it. Notice that anything can be made into a button, so you can create a graphic and make it a button. You can create a movie clip (animation), then create what’s called an invisible button. To create an invisible button, either find on the menu bar “Create a New Symbol” or click the “+” sign on your library to do the same. Call your button invisible button or something like that. Make sure it’s a button and click OK. Now, we have a blank button, create a keyframe on the last hit area frame ONLY. Just drag a square or anything in it (make sure its filled in). It does not matter what size, as we can resize it on the main stage.

This is called an invisible button because you can’t see it, but you can still apply actions to it. So, drag the button onto the main stage. Resize it with the Properties toolbar to be the same size as the movie clip. NOTE: right away when you drag the button onto the stage, you will see that is a transparent blue, that is normal. That is to indicate that it’s an invisible button, will not be seen in the final movie, but it’s there. Now that we have our button on top of the movie, we can do the same thing we did with the simple hyperlink. However, now it will appear to the final user that the movie is a button (because the button cannot be seen).

Experiment with invisible buttons and movie clips to be able to create complex animated buttons and all other sorts of great things.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by minger
    I doubt anyone will do the work for you. It will help you more if you learn it yourself. So, first off, why don't you specifically ask what you're trying to do? I’ll answer your link question.

To create a link, you first must have a button. There are three different types of symbols in Flash, buttons are one (the other two are movie clips and graphics, although graphics are hardly used). Buttons are the only symbol which can have mouse buttons attached to it. Movie clips can have different types of actions applied to it which can do all sorts of useful things, but I’ll keep it simple.

Now, the easiest way to create a hyperlink for text: First type your text and select it. Press either F8, or find on the menu bar “Convert into Symbol.” Choose button, and give the button a name. When you press enter, you will see the timeline has changed from frame by frame, to only 4 “frames.” These are the button frames. The first frame is how the button will look normally, the second is when the mouse is hovering over the button, and the third is while the mouse button is pressed. The last frame is a very important one, it is the hit area. This will be the area that the user will have to have the mouse in to be able to use the button actions.

Now, you will see that you only have the 1st frame with a keyframe on it (if you aren’t familiar with what keyframes are, then go into Flash help and start from the beginning). Now, the over, and down instances aren’t important right now (you can experiment with them later), but we will need to change the last hit area frame. Right now, the user would have to actually have the mouse touching the actual text (i.e. the white space in between would not count), which is entirely unacceptable. So, just take your rectangle tool, make sure that you have a fill color selected (it does not matter what color, this frame will not be seen, it only affects when the pointer changes to a hand, any color on this frame will become a part of the hit area), and drag a rectangle around your text.
    I got as far as this ? the rest confused me, I couldnt find release in the actions

Member #
    OK smashing ! I used your advice as best i could and i got the hyperlinks working, Thanx !

I have another problem. One of the links opens a picture but the browser window it opens is bigger than the picture, Do you know how to open a browser window of a certain size ? Is there just some more script to add in ?
    Thankyou for you help so far

Member #
    Yes, you can, this is where we will use the getURL() function to call a javascript function. I believe that there is a way to do it without adding the actual javascript to the HTML file, but I do not know it. What we will do is create a javascript function in the HTML of the page to open a window of the proper size. Then, on the button, you will call the javascript function. First, let’s add the HTML to the page. Add this in the heading of the HTML markup:

Code:
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    function winopen() {
    window.open('putpagehere.htm','','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=no,width=425,height=210,left=400,top=250');
    }
    </SCRIPT>
    Note that winopen is the function we will need to call in Flash. Also, putpagehere.htm is the page you want to open. This can also be a .swf file if you choose. Also note all of the other properties of the opened window that can be changed. Now go into Flash, and go to the button actions (right click the button and click Actions). Add this to the button:

Code:
    on(release) {
    	getURL("JavaScript:winopen();");
    }
    Now, when the mouse is released on this button, it will call the function winopen which will open the window. You can also create as many of these as you want. So, if you want to open a bunch of different windows in this way, just make sure to make each function a different name.

That should be it, good luck!!

Member #
    As far as sounds, check out this tutorial on flashkit.com

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Au...-824/index.php

That tutorial coveres pretty much all aspects of Flash sound. Also, learn to love flashkit, it has a huge amount of information on there.

Remove Ads