Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    I noticed a while ago that people have started toning down the amount of flash that they use in their websites, i recently read in .net magazine that flash was on its way out, following this somebody told me that flash was on the way out, which i think would be a shame as flash is such an amazing tool, the point of this story is to ask if you think flash is going out of fashion and do you think that it should?
    Thanks for your views,

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've never been a great fan of Flash, just like I've never been a great fan of Java. The simplest reason is that it's a plugin -- something that can't reliably be said to be available on all computers. JS is always available, it's just disabled sometimes (much like cookies).

That said, I don't think Flash is on its way out just yet. While it's finally on its way out as a way to have intro movies (thank goodness) and overly complex (and by consequence annoying) menus (again, thank goodness), it is finding other uses, not the least of which is video (see Google Video and YouTube).

Flash is merely changing its role. It still hasn't dealt with the rather sizeable accessibility issues it has, and it's even more difficult to handle such things as the back button with Flash than it is with AJAX.

And that's the last bit: more and more, people are using XHTML, CSS, Javascript, and such tools as the canvas element to replicate much of the functionality that was once available only in Flash-based applications. Eventually, depending on how universally it is adopted, SVG may well complete the cycle of available technologies to make Flash less useful for purely animated interfaces. I'm sure once SVG at least reaches maturity in Firefox, we'll see animation libraries that make it easier to generate keyframe-based animations like you can in Flash with SVG.

Anyway, to summarize, I doubt it's on its way out. Whether it should be or not... I generally tend towards the `yes' side of that question, but then I'm the kind of guy who writes his web pages in text editors with no WYSIWYG or anything. Keeping it simple is what I do, if for no other reason than that I can't visualize very well, so simplicity is about all my poor brain can handle :-)

Also, there's the matter of platform support: Flash has been unreliable at best on Linux, and I have no idea what its status is on OS X (though likely better). For me, that's a bit of an issue, since I do everything on Linux. Though the recent introduction of an awesome tool let me install IE5, 5.5, 6, and Flash 9 on this good ol' Linux box, so I have a fallback :-)

Member #
    Flash isn't on its way out at all. The end :-)

Member #
    Flash isn't on its way out at all. The end :-)
    well done...
    everyone else on this thread has given a lot of thought and effort to their reply, you just give that moronic answer.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Whoa there... It's an answer all the same. No need to insult him.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    solidgold, obey the forum rules to which you agreed when you joined WDF.

I think Flash is on its way out as a layout, design, and interface tool. However, as a general application tool, it's getting stronger. Think about how many FLV (Flash Video) players you see now instead of just plugins like Windows Media Player and QuickTime.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    well done...
    everyone else on this thread has given a lot of thought and effort to their reply, you just give that moronic answer.
    Thanks, and you're welcome. :rambo:

Also, just because something's in a magazine doesn't mean it's going to happen. Flash has had plenty of developments along the way and with Adobe taking over I can only imagine what's in store. The programming language (AS) will progress into something more robust for developers to create more complex internet apps. As time progresses earlier versions of browsers will phase out with lower end Flash becoming a standard.

I see no problem. Fin

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    AS will progress into something more robust? AS is based on ECMAScript, the same standard as Javascript, and is already quite the robust language. Merely because people have been misusing them, doesn't mean they aren't good languages. This summer as I explored Prototype and script.aculo.us I finally started seeing what Javascript (and, by extension, ECMAScript) was capable of, and let me just say `damn'. It's a real language, all right.

Member #
    Whoa there... It's an answer all the same. No need to insult him.
    i'm sorry, but it is annoying, this is a topic that interests me and that somebody could be so self-assured as to completely dismiss it, is frankly a slap in the face.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, strong beliefs are a fact of life; no need to be insulted all through life, right? :-)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads