Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I know this is probably opening a bee hive, but I really am curious as to why flash is looked down upon. I don't quite understand it, but what I do know is that there might be problems with accessibility, but besides that, what is bad about it?

Member #
    well i feel (not tht i'm any good with flash anyway), that flash has its place. really good for embedding music or films and such things but i think that 100% flash sites tend to be slow and usually too fancy. don't get me wrong i've seen some good 1's but the majority (that i've seen just seemed toooo much.

probably doesn't answer you question but i thought i'd offer my opinion anyway.

oh!... were you talking about flash gordon? doh, thought everyone loved flash?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'll just mention that there are a bunch of threads addressing this issue already :-)

Member #
    As I've said many times before, business networks routinely block flash components because flash is based on active-x technology. This is ok if the flash item being blocked is just an embellishment, but when the whole site or it's primary navigation are implemented using flash, then you are just completely hamstrung by it.
    End of Line.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkette
    flash is based on active-x technology
    That's news to me, got reference links documenting this?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    That's news to me, got reference links documenting this?
    Sure, this bit on Wikipedia mentions it. The Flash plugin has always been implemented as an ActiveX control in IE. On non-IE browsers, it uses the Netscape plugin architecture, which is more or less what all other browsers implement.

Member #
    Flash content is not accessible to search engines. Many Flash designers get too fancy and contrive elaborate unintuitive navigation schemes. IMO, one of the biggest problems with Flash is how it is implemented, things that are too fancy scare people away.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    i would like it, but it doesn't allow tabbed browsing, when i view a flash site i feel constrained like i do in IE6. If flash sites became compatible with tabbed browsing then i would like them a lot more.

As for search engine compatibility, i think the problem there lies with search engines as much as designers. Flash needs to be given the opportunity to flourish if it is to truely become a good format for the internet

Member #
    Search engines have gotten a lot better at indexing the Flash file format. There was an SEO discussion about this not long ago. The problem is no longer about the SEO of Flash, but the way it is designed.

When you have an html site, you can set up different pages around different keywords. This would be good if, for example, you had a catalog site. The one-file way some designers make the flash site is the problem. Essentially the SE looks at it as a single page, so you get one set of keywords.

Then is the Flash desinger's disdain for text content. Messes up the clean look of graphics.

Flash could do a lot. In fact people there is a thread on something called a Pie Menu which is plain old good HCI design. However I suspect the designer didn't know or care about human-computer interaction design. That's the problem. Flash used as a fancy animated GIF.

To see something different go to a News.com article, in the lower right quadrant you'll see a tabbed search function. One of the tabs is a hyperbolic tree of related articles, this is a differnet visual way to search. There are other, even better examples of superior interaction design using Flash. While there is user research which supports these designs, they don't shout "look at me" like a sugared-up four-year-old. They are "substance," hence aren't "flash"y enough to be the center of attention.

Consequently the vast majority of Flash designers could not care less. You'll read thousands of discussions of 2advanced for every one about News.com. Many designers are worse at studying and using the basics of usability and interaction design than programmers are. And programmers are pretty sad.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'll mention that many of the usability-oriented achievements possible using Flash are also doable using XHTML/CSS, possibly with the aid of the [minicode]canvas[/minicode] element.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads