Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi! I created my own Flash Button in Flash MX for my web site; however I can't figure out how to add an internal link to the button after inserting it into Dreamweaver. It's so simple if you choose to use the Flash Buttons Dreamweaver provides since a nice pop up window appears asking for the link! Any help is appreciated!! I need to get this web site done asap!
    Thanks!

Member #
    this may seem a bit harsh, but dont use a flash button

from an SEO point of view it messes up how the search engines index your site

from a design view it looks silly unless the whole site is flash

theres a load of other points that i havent gone into, but just dont do it

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I made a button with Dreamweaver and imported the .swf into Flash, and it looks like the text is actually in the flash file... It's not passed dynamically to the .swf file and then displayed with Actionscript. So, somehow Dreamweaver actually creates the entire .swf for you.

But, if you want to do it yourself, then I would think that you should make one button file, and then inside Dreamweaver, in your code, pass a variable to the flash file - what text you want on the button. Do it like this:

<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" width="100" height="22">
    <param name="movie" value="button.swf?buttontext=About Us" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <embed src="button.swf?buttontext=About Us" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100" height="22" ></embed>
    </object>

Or if you want to pass two parameters, then you'd do
    ?buttontext=About Us&buttonlink=aboutus.html
    ...etc.

Then, inside your flash movie, on the button, put a dynamic text field, and in the Var field, put _root.buttontext. (And you can also put actionscript on your button that says on(release){ getURL(_root.buttonlink); } if you include buttonlink as one of your variables that you pass to the movie.)

Flash will automatically import these values so that's all you need to do.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Remove Ads