Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Is it possible to connect to a server with Flash and if so what is the best way. the server has PHP & MySQL support but nm else. I think it is apache.

EDIT: Just checked, it is apache 1.3.33. Also it is a shared server so I can't install anything other than scripts on it.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    WHAT exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Probably something like a database retrieval or contact form via Flash...
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    I'm just figuring out what Flash can and can't do for a Flash game

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Yes, and in many ways. For database access, the best way to do it is via the XML() component accessing a PHP page that outputs XML. You can also establish server sessions with Flash and maintain user state. I did something like that for this website: www.transio.com/mundoimation

However, for a game, you should probably look into using sockets with Flash, which would allow bidirectional communication without the overhead of XML or HTTP. There was a member here who made a Flash game with sockets a few years back. Do a search.

Remove Ads