Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Right now I'm trying to add a flash video entrance to my site. I have already converted my files to and swf and I have managed to embed the flash video using an html code.

Here are the problems I have and the stuff I need help with:
    I want the video to have "enter" and "skip" buttons.
    I also need to resize the flash video but not sure I can do that with Flash 8 or not(I want the video to take up about 75% of the screen)

Any help appreciated. I also might be way over my head since I really haven't seen any flash video entrances. But this site: http://www.b-dancers.jp/ sort of has the concept I'm trying to get it. But instead of having to enter the site to see the video, when you click on my site I want it to show the options.....then start playing or skip it.

Here is my website: http://taijijuny.frih.net

Member #
    May I point out that it is not a good practice to use Flash intros. Remember the concept: The web is about giving controls to your users and supporting them. They want to be in control. By placing an intro, you are forcing them to watch first before using your sites. No matter how pretty it is, few will wait for it to last - people are annoyed enough by long-loading sites.

If you insist... well the skip buttons will need to be detached from the flash file. Just make a plain link. As for the resizing - I'm afraid that isn't possible, without using JS and somehow integrating it. Why would you want to do this, anyway?
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Since it isn't a good idea what are some other possible idea for a good intro besides just a picture?

Member #
    Don't use an intro at all. Just go straight to the site. You'd be amazed at how many people find a link, open it in a new window/tab, then go off wandering in other places while it loads. Later they come back to the window/tab and there are 2 main possibilities if you use an intro:
    1. They forget why they're there, and leave, or figure they don't really need to visit.
    2. They click on your enter link or whatever, and see another load session. 2 possibilities:
    2.1. They wait patiently for the new load.
    2.2. They decide to cancel/am busy/no time/whatever and leave.

Now imagine how many people pick 1 or 2-2. This is a big portion of people - slow connections, slow computers, busy people, already having a lot of windows/tabs open, etc..
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    I never thought about those things when creating my site. Thanks for the advice. I remember you were the one who helped me in the "starting out thread". You told me to get rid of the tabular layout which I did. I think I improved it but still much more I can do.

Member #
    Haha, I'm flustered. Good luck there!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiinji
    I never thought about those things when creating my site. Thanks for the advice. I remember you were the one who helped me in the "starting out thread". You told me to get rid of the tabular layout which I did. I think I improved it but still much more I can do.
    It depends on who your audience is. If you are selling a product, consulting or any other type of business, I would highly recommend not using an intro video. People want the product NOW or the information NOW. ...can't explaining it, we're human

However, if it's for a gaming site or entertainment, leave the video on. People WILL watch it.

To change the size. Switch to code view and change the size there. I believe you can also click on the corner of the video in design view and expand it. Be careful though as the video could turn out blurry if you expand it too much.

Remove Ads