Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I hope you guys can help me with a question no one else seems to answer for me. If I want to create a flash banner for a client and that client wants to place it on a site (lets say msn). MSN(and most others) have file size restrictions (about 15-20kb) I can never make a "great looking" banner in those restictions and therefore leads me to look into doing it another way.

Now I would think that the way others do it is by loading (or calling) an external "banner_advert.swf"(hosted on my clients site) in to a "holding.swf" which is then hosted on MSN, thus getting around the file size limitations.

However, I havn't got a clue on how to do this. Will there not be security inplace to provent this?

Please can someone shed some light on this for me??

Thanks

Ash :ermm:

Member #
    If I understand you correctly, one possible way would be to have an iframe which has a src that is a .swf that is hosted somewhere else. Not sure though.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    If I understand you correctly, one possible way would be to have an iframe which has a src that is a .swf that is hosted somewhere else. Not sure though.
    Not sure if someone like MSN would have an iframe on their site, But yeah I could see that method working on a smaller host.

Any other thoughts??

Member #
    The best idea would be to try getting into that 20kb limit. Usually it's bad enough for a decorative banner to eat up that much space...
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Not always. What about having video, like a movie trailer playing from within it?

Member #
    Don't put it in a banner, in that case. Banners are meant to be simply informative and aren't a method of getting actual content across. If you want to show a video, have the banner display a few frames or, even better, just a snapshot(s) of the video in a static image with attractive text like "Watch the trailer!". Clicking on it takes them to the video.

It's a better solution, because you save up on bandwidth, and people really hate having to wait for a page to load up slowly... Just because of that annoying flash banner.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    How are the other banner designers doing it?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Answer to OP's question:

Create a SWF and in the first frame of the root, use the AS command _root.loadMovie("http://www.mydomain.com/realbanner.swf");

You may also have to tweak security with System.security.allowDomain("mydomain.com");

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by transio
    Answer to OP's question:

Create a SWF and in the first frame of the root, use the AS command _root.loadMovie("http://www.mydomain.com/realbanner.swf");

You may also have to tweak security with System.security.allowDomain("mydomain.com");

Great! this is more of answer I was looking for. It's all very well saying don't have the movie loading in the banner, but sometimes you need to. I can'[t always say to the client "No you can't have that." as they will only reply with "Fine I will go to someone that will do it, as I know it can be done as I have seen it."

So would I need to put the security tweak in the swf that will load the movie or to I put it in to the movie that sits on my server?

Remove Ads