Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello All,

I have a page that's separated into two areas, one with links for services, one for descriptions to those services. I'd like to have each link change the description area to an overview of that specific service. The page currently links to an external website, but I'm not sure how to create internal links. I'm not sure whether I'd modify the description area or create a new page for each service.

I've included the .fla file, so this should all make sense once you see the page. If you need more info, please ask!

Thanks for any help!

Member #
    1. name all your link movieclips (eg. link1, link2, link3 etc...)
    2. on first frame put "stop();" in actions panel and name the frame "link1"
    3. add another frame and write different content in it for your second link and name the frame "link2", do this for all other links.
    4. in first frame add actionscript for each link in actions panel:

link1.onRelease=function(){
    this._parent.gotoAndStop(this.name);
    }
    link2.onRelease=function(){
    }
    etc...

and you are done...

Karl

Member #
    Thanks for the quick response!

A quick question for you: I got the frames in (they're actually already there) with the code you showed me, but I'm not sure how to change the content. The content to be changed is in the clip "Scrolling_Page" -- I was thinking that I'd slide over to Frame 2, then change the content, but when I select the "Scrolling_Page" clip to edit it, it only has one frame. Do I need to add a Frame 2 to this also? I'm sorry I'm not Flash-literate at all...

Thanks again for your help!

Member #
    Okay, I've played around with this, and I think I'm thoroughly confused...

Am I making 8 frames in "Scroll_Page", with different content on each frame (to correspond with each link)?

Or am I creating an additional frame for each of the links? If so, how do I connect the link frames with the content under "Scroll_Page"?

I've posted a few screenshots to show what I've done so far. Your instructions seemed to point to the second method, so that's what the screencaps indicate. But I'm stuck.

:ermm:

Thanks Again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    when you create 8 frames in the root (Main Timeline) whenever you change the contents in Scroll_Page it will change it in all other frames as well, you dont want that therefore for each frame you will have to right click on the Scroll_Page clip and click "Duplicate Symbol" that will create another instance of it in library... Then you can just edit its contents and they're be unique in that frame. Do it for the rest of the frames.

Karl

Member #
    Okay, I was wondering why it wasn't changing.

I can't seem to get this right, so I'll go over step-by-step exactly what I've done. I've also included SS's for each step and the flv.

1. There are already two frames for each of the 8 links, so I've gone into the Action Panel and edited each one per your instructions, setting the first link to in Link1 to:

Code:
    stop();

2. The second link for Link1, I've added:

Code:
    }

3. I've repeated this for all the other links, only replacing:

Code:
    }
    with

Code:
    link2.onRelease=function(){
    }
    etc.

4. In the timeline, I added 8 additional frames to the "Scroll_Page" layer. I noticed that if I move the slider, everything disappears.

5. Keeping going, I duplicated "Scrolling_Page" from the Library panel (right-click, Duplicate), naming them "Scrolling_Page1", "Scrolling_Page2", etc. I only edited the title and the heading for now, I'll go back later and edit the rest.

So here we are, stuck. If I go back and look at the whole scene, there's nothing where the "Scroll_Page" used to be. If I click a link (in a preview), it has the link as "Undefined", and gives me a 404 error.

So I guess there are two questions I need to ask:

1. How do I get Scrolling_Page1-8 onto the stage at the correct frames?

2. How do I connect the links to the Scrolling_Page clips?

Thanks for your hand-holding and patience; I'm a 3d animator and thought I would pick up Flash quickly, but I haven't gotten the hang of it (yet). I've stumbled through the rest of the pages (the portfolio page was a nightmare), and I'm sooooooooo close to finishing.

Thanks Again,

Member #
    Okay, okay, okay, I think I"ve got this. I'm at least getting much closer...

I got my frames set up, added the "stop", but when I add the second bit of code:

Code:
    this._parent.gotoAndStop(2);
    }
    it gives me an error:

Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Link1, frame=1, Line 1

Description:
    Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler

Source:
    stop();

Any ideas on where I'm going wrong?

Member #