Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everyone,

I'm learning Flash (still on CS3 due to hardware unfortunately) and I'm looking for recommendations for an intermediate/advanced textbook.

I worked through this (Flash CS3 Professional for Windows and Macintosh:Visual QuickStart Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Katherine Ulrich: Books) and found it pretty good for the basics, so moved onto this (Flash CS3 Professional Advanced for Windows and Macintosh:Visual Quickpro Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Russell Chun: Books) but i'm really not finding it so useful.

Getting into the chapters on scripting and I think that the examples are quite poor: screen grabs don't match the text in some cases, and it sometimes explains the theory then gives a poor example to implement it. Just kind of left with the feeling that I'm not learning things as well as i'd like to...

Was considering this (Essential ActionScript 3.0: Amazon.co.uk: Colin Moock: Books) but wondered if that would be a leap too far for an intermediate user?

Any feedback would be great,

thanks!

Sam

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I'm not that familiar with Flash but I have had some good experience with Lynda.com. They have monthly subscriptions which cost probably less than half of what you pay for some of those books.

I am a visual learner so videos work best for me. Some prefer reading but if you like videos, give them a shot. They have free chapters for all of their stuff so you can get a feel for it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by redefyned1 View Post
    I'm not that familiar with Flash but I have had some good experience with Lynda.com. They have monthly subscriptions which cost probably less than half of what you pay for some of those books.

I am a visual learner so videos work best for me. Some prefer reading but if you like videos, give them a shot. They have free chapters for all of their stuff so you can get a feel for it.
    thanks for your reply! i have to admit i do prefer working from a book, just personal preference though, will have a look at the Lynda site though

Remove Ads