Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi, Im new here, Im 15 years old & I do alot of Photoshop... Recently Ive been wanting to use my Photoshop skills in a more productive way than just making pictures, So I decided to get into Webdesign.

Im trying to make a flash website, I decided to use flash coz its more flexible & Really you could do anything with it! After I saw http://www.omgpop.com I was sure that if I ever made a page, It would be with Flash.
    Im currently using a tutorial but the way that I wanna do my site is not like in the tutorial so Im having a bit of trouble doing it :S

I have no ActionScript knowledge at all, Wich also makes it hard, So Im in need for some help please

Basically what I want is a site were you never really enter another page. Everything (Kinda) is displayed on the same screen.
    Here's a picture of the site right now:

The smoke-ish looking thing defines on what page you are on, So basically once you open the site, it starts at "Home", On the second pic Im on the "Portfolio" section.
    I only have text there & A hyperlink, The Home part is done. Also the about part is just text & A pic of me, Done.
    Now Im in the Portfolio section & I want do make a photo gallery of all the things Ive done in Photoshop.

Ive been trying to look for tutorials but none of them is how I want it.
    What I want to do is make the layout like it is right now in Flash (2nd pic), But 3 pics dont fit, So I plan to make a 2 buttons to go to the next page (The pics that you see outside of the frame).
    The red squares is were the buttons are gonna be, Im gonna make them in Photoshop, Since everything looks cartoony in Flash... :\

So my question is: How could I make that photo gallery?

About the page:
    All the design is made by me, Its all in Photoshop besides the text (Upscaled text looks horrible, So I made the text in Flash so that it still retains quality if the resolution of the screen is bigger than the project wich is 1240x768, The design itself looks good enough when upscaled.)
    -
    At first I thought I would use scenes for every page, It seemed easy enough: When you click a button it takes you to the scene that page is on. Ive done that before with a Login screen I mad ein FLash LONG ago.
    But looking at the excersise files of the tutorial, I notice its not like that, I didnt look at the code or anything... But still, Its not like that, Its all on 1 scene & Just diffrent. I found it very complicated.

But I dont really know if my idea of making the page would work, Just make the Home, Contact, About, & Portfolio buttons take you another scene were the respective smoke & Content shows up.
    Seems pretty simple to me. Would it work?

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    I don't think you'll get much help with this here. Here's why:
    Most web designers prefer not to use flash, because not everyone has it, an it sorta messy to work with. Instead, they use HTML, CSS and jQuery to make a page such as the one you're trying to make. With the combo of those 3 languages, you can do anything that flash can, and even more. You said you wanted to get into web design, and that would be the way to do it.
    Sorry this wasn't too helpful for your current issue!! I just had to tell ya
    I do hope there's someone here that can help him though.. Anyone??
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    One of the reasons Im choosing Flash is because I like more visual stuff, You can really see what youre doing.
    Next year Im gonna start learning HTML from school, But the little that I know is just pure code & Then some thing comes up, Basically I dont really know exactly how its gonna come out & what Im doing most of the time, But with Flash I can really design my own things & Then make that image I made whatever I want

I love flash for some reason
    Only downside I see is the cartoony look of everything

Also, Any comments about how the page looks or suggestions would be appreciated
    Im not really planning on hosting this page, Its just to learn & Make something, Hopefully later I will with other stuff.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Perdomo, post: 211353
    One of the reasons Im choosing Flash is because I like more visual stuff, You can really see what youre doing.
    Next year Im gonna start learning HTML from school, But the little that I know is just pure code & Then some thing comes up, Basically I dont really know exactly how its gonna come out & what Im doing most of the time, But with Flash I can really design my own things & Then make that image I made whatever I want

I love flash for some reason
    Only downside I see is the cartoony look of everything

Also, Any comments about how the page looks or suggestions would be appreciated
    Im not really planning on hosting this page, Its just to learn & Make something, Hopefully later I will with other stuff.
    Yeah, I can see the more hands-on appeal that it has. It is pretty cartoony, but, as you said, you can use PS for some elements. Have fun learning HTML next year.

Member #
    Thank you, Hopefully itll be fun & Not just having study for another school subject because I HAVE to

Im planning use Photoshop for everything besides text, But even the text looked a bit too plain so I added some inner glow in an a bit darker grey so its not THAT just simple. (Looka better on the smaller text, They arent shown in the pics above)

Basically ill use Flash only to put everything together in a working page, And the text, Well... If I can make it look good even with a big zoom in why not?

Only problem would be filesize... (The page without any pics on it, Just the Background & Everythign is 1.2MB)
    But Im guessing that maybe I wcould figure out a way to make the browse only only the page itself & Only the Home part, Then display it & While you are basically already on the page the other parts (Portfolio, Contact, About) are loading.
    Besides, Internet connections are fast these days, 1MB takes like 2secs to download.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Perdomo, post: 211356
    Thank you, Hopefully itll be fun & Not just having study for another school subject because I HAVE to

Im planning use Photoshop for everything besides text, But even the text looked a bit too plain so I added some inner glow in an a bit darker grey so its not THAT just simple. (Looka better on the smaller text, They arent shown in the pics above)

Basically ill use Flash only to put everything together in a working page, And the text, Well... If I can make it look good even with a big zoom in why not?
    There are a few drawbacks to picture text, including it being clunky (say.. 70kb instead of 5kb), and search engines (such as google) can't read pictures. It's chill if you just want to make the website for hobby purposes, but if you go pro, you'll need to keep those factors in mind.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    When I was learning HTML, it wasn't a chore, cause I love designing sites. If you do too, then you'll like it, and it will be an easy 'A'. And hopefully you'll see the advantages of code

Member #
    Well, I do love designing stuff, I usually do some pictures in Photoshop that take 6/8 hours straight.
    I notice that it took so long after I finished because Im not really like "living" while doing it, Im all into Photoshop

Ive found myself finishing stuff at 4am without noticing :P
    When Im done with the page I might upload the .swf file so you guys can check it out, Together with my Photoshop work.

I had just edited my other psot about filesizes, And Im using Flash's on text tool, So its actual text & Not a picture. Win win, I guess... Only bad thing is that Cant really do more complex stuff (Like the metallic look on the buttons, Those were done in Photoshop)

PS: This has gone a bit off topic :O

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    I'm jealous of your photoshop skills I'm hopefully taking graphics design in college in fall though, so that'll be sweet.
    Yeah it sorta did go off-topic. Sorry, lol.
    I'll let people answer questions now.
    PS. Can't wait to see your site once it's done!

Member #
    No replys for so long?
    I managed to find exactly what I want: http://flash-gallery.com/box-photo-gallery/
    But it uses some kind of Plug In to make the gallery instead of actual ActionScript... Anyone knows about a tutorial for doing something like that?

Ive been looking for tutorials & Stuff all this time, Basically I havent done anything to the page yet besides the buttons & transitions.
    This is the progress right now: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/...b2aba602728d13

I just need to learn how to make the gallery (Link up there) and I can complete the page
    Filesize is kinda big though, 12mb... But I think using UILoader it would get alot smaller.
    (But ofcourse, I would need to know how to make the gallery itself to implement it)

EDIT: Also, is there a way for the "Rollover" sound of the buttons to not play twice?
    It does once when you put your mouse over the button & Again when you click it. (Together with the Click sound)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads