Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am very new to SWF and have to work with inherited code. So I have been given a .swf file and the relevant JavaScript functions that can read write to the swf file. I was also given the relevant html code where I used the object and embed tags.

The code works fine as stand alone and I am able to read write values to the .sol file created on the client side. This works in all browsers I need. IE/FF/Chrome. All this is running in a html/JavaScript website deployed on Tomcat 6.0

So I take the above html/js/swf and integrate this with my J2EE app and JSP website and this is when it breaks. Now when I invoke the html, the page loads fine but the .sol file is not getting generated on the client side. I do see the folder "Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\QH7QGNRU" but not .sol file inside it as per the domain.

Here comes the twist. This problem only happens in IE8 and not in FF or Chrome.
    So as a stand alone app and also integrated with my J2EE app the swf/sol works fine in FF and Chrome. However in IE it fails in the J2EE deployment. I have already done a trace with Fiddler and found no anomalies.

Can you guys shed some light as to why the shared objects folder structure is getting created but the .sol is not.

Thanks a bunch.

Member #
    I forgot to add the complete environment details.
    Windows XP
    Shockwave 10.0.32
    IE 8, FF 6, Chrome 13
    Tomcat 6.0

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Security settings on ie8, client side writing when in IE is almost always a security issue.

Because it works locally, the level of security is not an issue, as the browser sees it as a local file and not a threat. If you add the server you are downloading the file from to your trusted sites list for I'd, and it works, then you'll either need to verify that the file location your trying to create ia in the temp inet folder, or that you may need to rename the file name, I believe ie8 security restricts the types of files written ( created ) from the browser. If its a simple text file, then I shouldn't be a problem.

Member #
    Webzarus - Thnaks for the feedback.

If the IE8 security was an issue then it wouldn't work in IE. But I know it works standalone in IE on the same Tomcat 6.0 installation.

Only when I move the code to my JSP it fails. Both the JSP and standalone code are on the same Tomcat6.0 deployment. So the server/domain/website are added to the trusted sites in IE.

The following URL does not work in Internet Explorer but works in Firefox and Chrome.
    Tomcat6.0\webapps\notOK\login.jsp

Now if I move the JSP to another location in webapps the JSP works fine in all browsers.
    Tomcat6.0\webapps\OK\login.jsp

I know the immediate thought is to see what, if any, in the "notOK" JSP/servlet prevents SWF from working? Hence I did the Fiddler trace and found that the requests are identical and all the relevant files, html/jsp/JS/SWF, are delivered to the browser properly.

The notOK servlet is an open source solution framework that is used in our project and I can't seem to get much help from them as to why/what they have restricted based on browser. I know that they have implemented a standards compliant code independent of browsers.

In the failure case as I mentioned the shared objects folder is created but not the .sol file.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Actually, IE8 security model is different from all browsers. You have to be very specific in your security modeling to be able to write to the client using IE8.

Are you using any client authentication or ssl in this ? Just a thought .

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 219313
    Actually, IE8 security model is different from all browsers. You have to be very specific in your security modeling to be able to write to the client using IE8.

Are you using any client authentication or ssl in this ? Just a thought .
    I am definitely using SSL. I will try to dig more into the IE8 security model and see what I can find there.

Remove Ads