Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I am wondering what people think are good reasons for using Flash animation on a web site. Usually, I find these annoying. Some are clever to watch once or twice, but I don't like it when a site has the same intro I have to sit through every time I visit. And if there's a button to skip the flash intro, I almost always click it.

So I would like to know what people think. Am I alone in my thinking?

What do you consider to be a good use of Flash? I'd be interested in being directed toward any examples of Flash animation where it really enhances the message and information that the site is presenting.

Thanks, and I hope I haven't insulted anyone.

Member #
    I think the main usage for flash is shown below:
    FLASH SHOULD REALLY ONLY BE USED WHEN IT IS A NECCESITY
    Unless it might enable a poor site to be spruced up and make it look a lot better.

Also - www.2advanced.com have made great use of flash - but it is limited to only people with a broadband connection because of the file size.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Thanks for the response.

I'm intrigued by your statement, "Unless it would spruce up a poor website and make it look excellent."

Do you really think using Flash can do that? If a web site is poor, is Flash really the answer?

Member #
    I reckon if you have got a good flash designer - which are in plentiful supply, I am sure yes - itcould happen - and even unskilled pople can do a great design in flash yes. But not always - sometimes Flash can really damage a site.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    "Do you really think using Flash can do that? "

http://www.2advanced.com (all flash...)

Member #
    Thanks, gabe. I've looked at that site, and I certainly agree that it is, well, flashy. Personally, I would never hire that company to build a web site for me or my company. I think that the look and feel and impressiveness of the whole thing is distracting, and the message is almost beside the point.

I guess there are plenty of companies out there that want their web sites to look "flashy." All I'm saying is that I get tired of watching their animation. I want to read their content. I spend more time at web sites where the message is clearly presented in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

After clicking "ENTER" on the 2advanced site, I waited 40 seconds for the intial animation to run. Then I clicked the "company" link and waited another 12 seconds. The message that comes up fits on about 1/12 of the screen real estate. The rest is filled with stuff I don't care about.

Then I clicked the back button and it took me all the way back to the "ENTER" screen, so I had to sit through the 40 second intro yet again. As a customer, I'm already done with their site and looking at another one.

Member #
    lol, yeah you are right. Flash sites are not known for their extensive content and are definately not meant for ppl with slower connections.

However, I imagine flash becoming more and more widespread in the future when everyone will have faster connections and more capable processors.

Member #
    I think you're right, and I think it's too bad.

BTW, I don't have a slow connection. The animation actually runs for 30 seconds while waiting for useful content to come up, and for an additional 10 seconds after that.

I would still like someone to point me to a web site where the Flash animation actually enhances the message of the site. Where it isn't just there to look impressive.

Member #
    well the flash animation enhances the message of 2a's site.. the message being they are a web firm who specialize in flash websites.

If you are looking for flash that makes the content of the text better (??) I wouldn't know where to point you.

This site is also done with flash ::: http://www.ultrashock.com/

It has database connectivity and tons upon tons of content.

Another example. here's a portfolio site that could be plain html, but the designer took time to make it look better with special effects. (also won an award) :: http://www.synthesis01.com/

Banned
    Member #
    use flash where styles more important than content, flash is mostly about looking cool..youl notice a lot of stylish companies/brands have flashy sites such as diesel(.com) or nike(.com), im generally a fan of flash it makes the web more interesting, not too keen on the '2advanced' site tho, a bit too much going on here..

I disagree to only use as a necessity, but need to be cautious about unnecessary overuse. The kind of people who totally hate flash are the same who buy 'practical' footwear who dont understand the need for a cool pair of trainers..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads