Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Alternative to Frames

The sight: depts.drew.edu/biol
    The problem: We have a Flash and a non-Flash page that department members want to keep up. Currently we have to update/edit each indpendently. We would like to combine the two so we have either a Flash or IMG nav bar and the same text for the main portion of the screen. Nice Frames that are non-scrolling and borderless would make sence, but they are not an option as per university guidelines on accessibility. What can I use other than frames that will load a nav bar and text independently onto another page?

-Carl

Member #
    The page: http://depts.drew.edu/biol
    The problem: There are two independent pages that are essentially mirrors of one another that need independent updates weekly. At first, no biggie. Now it's a big pain. The only difference between the two pages is the NAV bars. Department factulty want to keep both FLAH and Non-flash elements, so eliminating one isn't an option. The problem is also made more complex in that we can't use frames for some reason.

Any ideas on how I could integrate these pages?

Thanks,
    -Carl

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You can use Server Side Includes to "modularize" your site and split the content into individually editable sections. Maybe you should consider looking into a CMS (Content Management System), which would allow you and your coworkers to manage the content of the website through an online administrative interface. If you want to manage the content of Flash and HTML simultaneously (and share content), you should look for a CMS with XML data storage and have it customized to work with Flash as well.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    By the way, I merged your posts. In the future, don't double-post the same issue. We all pretty much read all new posts, so you can be certain your issue will be read.

Member #
    OK. I just read a little about ssi. It seems a little over my head and based on the design of our network I'm not sure if I can do that.

We basically just get allocated disk space on the school server through a folder given to us when we log in through Novel.

Since it is a server folder we only have access to for this sight and not the server itself, is ssi possible.

And is there any way that something similar might be done through coding alone in javascript?

Sorry for being a pain, it's just that I've never done anything more complex than putting a javascript clock code onto a page before and I think I took on too much with this project.

Thanks,
    -Carl

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have a tricky solution

I dont understand your problem properly

Let me tell what i understand

you have two page one should be still and other will be dynamics means [target]

well if you are on linux server then use php

and use include command for header page meanfor menu page which should be still

let me know if this is not satisfy you

Remove Ads