Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Im in the process of developing www.bof-uk.com and im getting concerned that the site is getting too big. Its currently 350k, which is too much alreay imo for a person on 56k connection to sit through.
    One way around this would be not to pre-load the whole site right away, but to load certain sections as the user opts for them.

My question really is, how can i go about reducing the file size by a decent margin. Im aware that i have a lot of tweens etc (300 library items approx). Does flash include old, unused tweens and library images when it creates the swf file?

Any tips for reducing file sizes?

I can email someone the file if they are feeling particularly helpful

Thanks in advance!
    Geraint Lewis

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Electric Rain makes a program called Optimaze which is said to compress flash files up to 60%. I've never used it, but I've heard great things. You might want to try it out, but I'm sure other people here have some great flash tips.

http://www.erain.com/
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Member #
    You have tweens in your library? I believe if you have tweens in your library it means you did not turn the object into a symbol before tweening it. In which case, you probably want to do that.

Another thing, with so many objects in your library, go through and see which ones you can duplicate from other objects. Also, regarding old unused tweens and such. If you click on the library menu, there is a button that says something like "Display Unused Objects" and it will highlight all of your objects that are not used. Other than that, I'm not sure if it includes them in the final .swf

You also may want to consider creating different parts of your movie as seperate .swf files and loading them into your main movie when called for.

Member #
    I think the unused items aren't included in the final swf

Member #
    ive discovered i can make my site from 344k down to 156k! just by using flash v6 compression option in the publish settings dialogue box. This sounds ideal! BUT.... is it safe to create a site in v6, or will i alienate a LOT of potential customers?

is v6 widespread, or do i need to play safe and use v5 or above? are there any online articles on this topic?

Member #
    By 'v6' do you mean flash player 6? If so I think you should be safe to use it, I don't know of any figures that give reason to suggest that this is a good or bad thing.

In my opinion, I wouldn't have said it was a bad thing, Ger-Lewis.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    thanks justlivyalife, yes flash 6.
    Maybe i should create a page for people who dont have v6, directing them to a download loaction? is this generaly the done thing?

Ger

Remove Ads