Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Does anyone have experience using illustrator for web design? I know there is a way to slice up things in SVG formats. The reason I ask is that I'm really familiar with using illustrator as a design tool for print and just starting out with web design. I was hoping I could get something up using illustrator and then work on the programming and coding of it in dreamweaver later.

Any suggestions?

Member #
    SVG is so far only supported by Opera 8 b3 and Firefox nightly builds.

You have to rasterize the images, but I believe illustrator has the option, export to ImageReady...

Edit: now Opera 8 supports it as well

Member #
    I think you would be better off using a layout program such as quark or pagemaker, or indesign, vs illustrator.
    You can design too many things in Illustrator, layout-wise, that simply dont come off right on the web. Spend some time with Front Page, that is pretty easy to get started with.

Member #
    Naah, don't use frontpage. I've tried it and I must say it's the worst program I've ever used to write html. If you need a program for the web dreamweaver is your choice. Much more powerful indeed.

My suggestion is to export a big file to photoshop and there slice it up and then put it all in divs.

I have a question for you - where did you learn about illustrator? I've started a bit, but is it nessecary to have a graphire/inuto pen in order to fully be able to use the program?
    (that's two questions really - where and equipment?)

//Henke

Member #
    Has anyone actually tried to use illustrator?? Or is familiar with the way illustrator works in terms of slicing? I appreciate all of your comments, but if no one is actually familiar with the program in question, it isn't all that helpful.

I've put up a preliminary site using combination of illustrator and dreamweaver, but would appreciate feedback on the initial question.

www.encoreweddingstudios.com

Member #
    I did answer your question about SVG.

Illustrator is used for wd, yes. The slice is just the same as in photoshop if I'm not mistaken.

So what is the question then? Because it seems to me you have got it all up already.

Member #
    WebDevil Surfs the Web
    :alien: Web Designs Provider :alien:
    "You haven't failed until you give up."

Remove Ads