Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello all, I'm not sure why creating a web button in Illustrator (text file; as in a web button called "news", for example) and then doing a "save for web" makes the file fuzzy when it becomes a gif file. I've tried making the fonts outline, creating the same button using Photoshop in a higher res and then downsizing it, and so on until I'm ready to convert to being a Luddite. Any suggestions? Looking for a crisper look when you read the text. Am I missing something?

Member #
    I think it might have something to do with when the ill file is changed to a gif it no longer retains the same properties of the ill file. ie it cannot be resized it is just a still image.

I am not sure about that its just my best guess, but I know that illustrator files, in order to be resized to no end, must remain as the illustrator format. However its been ages since I have worked with it.

I hope that helps a bit.

Member #
    thanks so much for your response -- I think you are right about Illustrator files -- trying to figure out a way to get "crisper" looking type for web buttons...

Member #
    hrm I think everyone uses Photoshop, and just resizes the images down. Not 100% though

Member #
    This sounds more like an optimizing issue than a software issue, eventhough Small Creatures is correct in saying Illustrator is not the right tool for the job. Photoshop's side kick ImageReady has phenomenal tools for optmizing graphics.

If that's not an option, some things to consider when optmizing images:
    You said you're saving as a gif, are you using transparency? Gif do not really have a transparent, they use what I call faux transparency, which involves using a matte. Basically, if the background color and the matte are the same, it will work, otherwise, you get jagged edges.
    Gifs works in color quantities, shades if you will. The more colors you have the bigger the file, the smoother the transitions.

Hope this helps.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Thanks so much; I have found transparency to be an issue. Problem might be solved if I use Fireworks instead of Illustrator. Thanks for the input.

Remove Ads