Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

First of all I'd like to say that I'm not familiar with Illustrator so excuse me if I'm asking something stupid/simple.

The thing is I wanted to print a t-shirt for a friend, based on a drawing I had made. Went to the shop and the guys told me I needed a vector based graphic in order for them to cut the vinyl and press it onto a t-shirt. After fighting with Illustrator's Live trace I came up with the attached file BUT as it is composed of hundreds of little segments they told me they cannot print that :'(.... and I'm at a loss because I don't know what to do! How can I make it look like a single trace? Or something that the printer can work with?

Thanks for your help and time.

Jordi

PS I have the .ai file if that helps, i just couldn't upload it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Jordi,

I'mnot sure what the effect is you're looking for -- do you want an image with very smooth contours that is filled with solid color(s), something that's just an outline, or something that looks more sketchy?

Live Trace is not magic, and can be intimidating with all the options.

Often the best approach would be to trace it by hand in Illustrator using the pen/pencil tools. But it would help to know what your original sketch looks like and what you're looking for in the final result.

Here's a link to a tutorial that appears to be using similar artwork to bring into Live Trace: http://www.layersmagazine.com/illustrator-tracing.html

--th

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi
    Hi,

First of all I'd like to say that I'm not familiar with Illustrator so excuse me if I'm asking something stupid/simple.

The thing is I wanted to print a t-shirt for a friend, based on a drawing I had made. Went to the shop and the guys told me I needed a vector based graphic in order for them to cut the vinyl and press it onto a t-shirt. After fighting with Illustrator's Live trace I came up with the attached file BUT as it is composed of hundreds of little segments they told me they cannot print that :'(.... and I'm at a loss because I don't know what to do! How can I make it look like a single trace? Or something that the printer can work with?

Thanks for your help and time.

Jordi

PS I have the .ai file if that helps, i just couldn't upload it.

Member #
    Hey! Thanks for the reply.

As the drawing is going to be cut into vinyl I guess what I'm looking for is an image with smooth contours and filled black (or maybe a thick outline??). I've tried tracing manually but it's driving me insane and I'm not getting anywhere.

I've attached a picture of the original sketch, I'm not sure it that helps.

Thanks for your help!

Jordi
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remove Ads