Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    This should be simple... but it's driving me nuts. I have a page that uses a GIF image of white text over an orange background. Whenever I try to create a GIF with new text, I "save for web" and get a hellacious jagged edge text thanks to Adobe Illustrator. What magic setting am I missing to get a nice piece of white text to display over the orange background without looking ragged?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlmeredith
    This should be simple... but it's driving me nuts. I have a page that uses a GIF image of white text over an orange background. Whenever I try to create a GIF with new text, I "save for web" and get a hellacious jagged edge text thanks to Adobe Illustrator. What magic setting am I missing to get a nice piece of white text to display over the orange background without looking ragged?
    I'm pretty sure it's the GIF that's doing it. I don't really know Illustrator, but I know in Photoshop, some fonts get cruddy if I don't use anti-alias on the text. But is the background of the GIF transparent? If so, that is your problem because GIF pixels are either fully transparent or fully opaque, and the edges of your font are probably partial pixels, so you are getting ragged edges. Either Use PNG or use anti-alias, whichever fits your situation. PNG-8 can be used in Fireworks with alpha-transparency that works in IE6 without a hack, too.
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Remove Ads