Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: clueless

bjp
    Member #
    Hi, I'm hoping for help from folks who know Illustrator. I'm a web geek, and ended up getting a gig to help someone turn a book they had been marketing in print form into an Ebook. I was given the original in the form of a PDF file, my task to divide the book into 2 volumes and redo the photos, which had been black and white for print (she couldn't afford to print color), with color versions or alternates.

I use Photoshop a lot for my web stuff, have for many years. Since I had the Creative Suite, I also had Illustrator (CS2 to be specific) and through trial and errror I figured out that it was the best tool for the minimal amount of text editing (changing page numbers, a few captions) and, I thought, replacing the pictures.

I figured out how to bring a new picture (photo) in on a new layer, resize, and crop using a clipping mask.

However when I save the pages, whether I flatten the artwork or not, and then open the document in Acrobat to look at the result, there's this effect that happens where I can briefly see the old picture before the new one "covers" it.

I'm a little freaked out that flattening the artwork doesn't stop this from happening but it definitely doesn't. Clearly there's something (tons of things but yeah) I don't understand about Illustrator and working with these vector files.

Can anyone enlighten me about this? The old image showing, even briefly, under the new is a major issue, it looks sloppy.

Help!

Thanks for any response.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    reverse layer order and delete the original layer, provided it is not a part of the final image. in that case you need it to be there.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

bjp
    Member #
    reverse layer order and delete the original layer, provided it is not a part of the final image. in that case you need it to be there.
    Hmm.. I'm not sure I understand.

Here's what I've got:

Layer 1 is the original PDF page, with text as well as the photos and other images.

To create the new image with clipping mask I add a Layer 2, where I paste the replacement photo, and then Layer 3, where I make a rectangle for the clipping mask.

When I "Make" the Clipping Mask I end up with the masked photo on Layer 3 and as far as I can tell, nothing on Layer 2.

Keep in mind, I am absolutely new to Illustrator. I got the procedure for making a clipping mask from a web search.

If I reverse order of layers, the old picture is covering the new picture.

Any suggestion or explanation what I'm doing wrong?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    ok if you are using the page to alter the image thats why its still there. i would suggest cutting not copying the image and pasting into adobe or gimp as RBG then make changes.
    then paste modified image onto page in the blank space left by the cut.

bjp
    Member #
    one problem, I don't know how to cut the original image out of the page.

I have tried using the scissor tool but I don't understand how it functions. I'm used to Photoshop, and I can't figure out how to select the old image on the page (layer 1) in order to cut it out. ^^;;;

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    use the rectangle select to surround the image then cut.
    paste as new image, alter, then paste back to document.

bjp
    Member #
    Thanks for your help, I got it figured out.

Appreciate your suggestions! :-) They got me on the right track.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    cool. sorry i wasnt more help.

Remove Ads