Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello!
    I've been having an issue in creating a pattern from an object that has some elements built into a couple opacity masks. When I take my original image (the hippo) and make a pattern with him, all of the detail is lost when I use the Crop tool within the Pathfinder Palette. Basically, when the crop is applied (which is needed to ensure my pattern can be made into a swatch, which can then tile), all of the detail within my hippo is lost (ie: the diagnal stripes and spots on his body).

I know the issue is that the Crop tool within the Pathfinder Palette is the culprit, but I don't know another way to make this into a pattern. I've tried making my perfect sqaure with a clipping mask, which does keep the details intact, but then I'm unable to save this out as swatch so that I can have a tileable pattern.
    Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!! I will be sure to go through the boards, too, so that I can offer any insight to designers in need (when I'm through pulling my hair out over this issue, of course!!).
    Thank you for your time!!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Two thoughts:

1. Does it have to be vector? Should be simple enough to PNG it and make a pattern of that.

2. If you MUST keep it vector, you'll probably have to redraw it without the opacity mask (that is, with each line full opacity at the desired final color). Adobe is very buggy when it comes to things like this... pain in the butt, but that's life

Member #
    Are you still having problems with this? If you are post the AI file and I'll take a look. It could be many things so it's hard to know what the problem is.

Remove Ads