Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    hello!
    ive got a serious issue with illustrator,if u can pls assist me it would be great so i can solve this problem once and for all!
    no matter on what pc i use illustrator and i do various designs using alot of gradients and i mean alot of gradients,illustrator after a while starts going slower and slower and then the objects cant hardly move and then i get a messegae error from illustrator crashing down.is there smthing about gradients thats make illustrator not be able to function.ei like a max of gradeints in a project?or is there smthing i must do on mu document in or to avoid problem like this in future?
    best reagdrs,ur advice would be very helpful.

Member #
    I don't know of a limit for Illustrator and gradients, though on a computer will low hard drive space, small amount of RAM, and slow CPU, would effect how well Illustrator would run.

In saying that, I don't think a massive computer with heaps of hard drive space, heaps of ram etc. would give you infinite gradient possibilities.

I know within Photoshop, there is a limit to the amount of RAM it can use. This is not always a problem because the max amount of RAM on a standard machine is usually heaps for all creations.

Illustrator is a vector based drawing system, this mean it mathematically creates objects meaning it will redraw all objects to retain best resolution of the image. Using a lot of gradients is inefficient, and puts to much strain on the software.

Best option would be to switch to a program like Photoshop, this will handle heaps of gradients within the image and not slow down, due to the way it deals with images.

Hope this helps!

Member #
    Sometmes with Illustrator the tracing feature/filter effects make the files large. This then creates a few delays with Illustrator reading them. I haven't herd of Illustrator crashing because of gradients before. Maybe check out adobe.com and common errors that may occur?

Remove Ads