Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    First of all, I'm swedish, so my english might not be correct all the time. Hope you understand anyway!

So I'm new to Illustrator and got the software yesterday since I'm helping a friend with his business logo that will be printed big scale. I made the logo i photoshop and thought that would be it but now he wants it in EPS Vector.

It took me 2 hours to figure out the live trace method and everything works just fine, escept from that the lines are not straight! The logo is a 4 color-logo and I used the "Tracing options" and used 6 color maximum to get the best trace result. I simply imported the PSD-file in Illustrator and started working with it.

The problem is that I can't seem to get the lines straight. I've tried correcting them with the pen tool but it is one hell of a time demanding job and even though it looks fairly good zoomed in I can still se that some of the lines are not straight. Is there any way you can make the lines straight for sure? I really want my friend to be satisfied with the result and this is my chance to get my work publiced.

I need to get this done by tomorrow and time is hunting me. All the help I can get will be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The only way that I can recommend is to edit your bezier curves with the pen tool, but really you should try to re-create the logo from scratch in illustrator, as the logo should have been done in illustrator to begin with. I realize that there is a time constraint, but the only way to ensure that your paths are clean is to remake the logo.

I'm not sure what the logo looks like, but you can use simple shapes to lay our foundation, then use illustrator's path finder to simplify your paths. remember also to convert your text to outlines. Illustrator is pretty difficult to get a hold of, especially if you're used to photoshop. They really are 2 different methods of producing artwork.

Member #
    Thank you for your reply.

I wound up correcting all the lines manually with the pen tool and it took me 2 hours to get it right. The logo was approved later last night and it seems it will be printed this week by the company.

I was told Illustrator would be much like Photoshop but from my experience it was really not. As you said: Two different ways of creating an artwork. I learned a lot from clicking around in it though and I think I'll be able to create a logo from scratch in Illustrator next time. The only thing I don't quite get the hang of is how you colorize different parts of the logo and how youuse the layer-function as I'm used to in PS.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yeah, the only thing that's really similar between the two is the interface. The tools function different, the layers work different, the filters render different, etc... I don't know if you're familiar with the tutsplus series of sites, but they have really useful articles that can give you a real jump-start on all sorts of different technologies. Here's their section on illustrator basics: http://vector.tutsplus.com/category/...ips/?tag=basix but they get much more detailed in the tutorial section of their site.

I also enjoy their net tutorials, and their psd tutorials:
    http://psd.tutsplus.com/
    http://net.tutsplus.com/

Remove Ads