Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all - a new member of the boards here - and really hoping you can help me out.
    I'm working on some logo ideas - and have made one in Illustrator - however it looks too 'clean' - and I'd like to add some scan lines to it - I know how to do this in Photoshop but I'm really struggling to create the effect on a vector.

The logo looks like this...

http://destinationdevelop.files.word.../swirllogo.png

and with some scan lines...

http://destinationdevelop.files.word...llogolines.png

How can I make the scanlines in Illustrator?

Member #
    Hey Develop,

A way I'd make scan lines in Illustrator would be to draw a single path, with a very fine stroke, colored black. Then set the transparency to something like 15%.

You can hold down the shift key to constrain the path to horizontal before clicking to complete your path line. To duplicate the lines, you can use the alignment/distribution tools to space all the lines evenly.

Set the first line to the top position, then copy that line and paste and move to the bottom most position.

Now paste about 10 more times and place them between the top and bottom lines. Select all the lines and use the distribution tool located on the top main bar. This will evenly space the lines.

Now copy all the lines again and paste, re-distribution. Keep going until you have the required amount of lines to complete your look.

Hope this helps!

Member #
    Use line tool to create line above the type. Add some stroke to it and change stroke color to black or any color you like. You can start with 2 or 3 pt stroke weight. With line selected go Effect – Distort Transform – Transform…

In move section for vertical enter 5 mm (this value will represent space between lines). In number of copies enter 5. For example: for desired 6 lines, you have to enter 5 .

Now, go Object – Expand Appearance.

In the next step go Object – flatten transparency and place only check mark on “convert all strokes to outlines”. Hit OK.

At this stage you need to use selection tool to position your lines on desired part of text.

Once you got your lines in perfect position select all objects, both type and lines and open Pathfinder (Window-Pathfinder). Click on “substract from shape area” icon. To cut unwanted paths go again to Object – flatten transparency.

With direct selection tool you can select and delete some undesired shapes in type.

Hope these tips will help everyone dealing with logo design, too.

Cheers,

Pow powwebdesign.com.au

Member #
    Another solution to your problem would be to (as others said) place a thin line above the logo using the line or pen tool. Then place another below. Using the blend tool, click on both lines. Now double click on the blend tool and select specified steps and choose a high number like 2 or 300... however many you need to get the effect your looking for.

This method allows very little work and it is easy to update the effect and expand it as well.

Remove Ads