Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I am trying to construct a rounded corner with Illustrator. I know that there's a style/effect rounded corner, but I need to have 2-3 borders around the rectangle, all rounded, so, it's not that easy.

Take a look: ioj.com/v/99ngb (I don't have enough posts to post links)

It looks horrible. Are there easier ways to accomplish this... and is there a way to define the position for an anchor (I am talking about those two subanchors that appear when u want smooth curves)?

Member #
    Try Flash?

I've had a similar problem previously and I resolved it by simply making the object in flash and importing it in. You can make objects just as you would in illustrator, however you can edit the roundness of the edges in the column on the left hand side. (if you can't see the column, then click windows> workspaces> essentials.)

Or, you can simply try holding down shift in Illustrator whilst making anchor points when using the pen tool.

I hope I've helped. Maybe take a look at my site bellow so you can see the end product

powwebdesign.com.au

Cheers,

Pow Web Design

Member #
    Flash is not really a solution... not at all... well maybe a quick hack that works, but I want to do this well.

I know that I can move around those anchor points, but the points will be placed inaccurately... because it's hard to estimate their position. I'd like to set their position X Y manually in a text field, but I can't find any way to do this. No matter what I do with my mouse, they always end up a bit off...you know, when I hover an anchor (I'm talking about those subanchors), it shows the position in the hover dialog like x: 8.56353453 y: 4.34534534 but I don't want it to be that badly positioned, I want them to be like x 8.5 y 4.5, etc.

Member #
    The solution

You can easily make additional paths by selecting your box then going to Object > Path > Offset Path... Then just select how much larger you want the next stroke and repeat the step for the next border.

Another option would be to make yourself an pattern brush, which is a fairly simple to do. There are millions of tutorials on pattern brushes. One being Adobe Illustrator Tips, Tricks and Tutorials

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Try using the Rounded Rectangle tool? You can set the radius and then draw your rectangle, which will ahve 4 rounded corners.

Then, use the Convert Path tool to change one of your corners to hard edges, delete one of the poitns, and drag the remaining one to make a hard corner.

Remove Ads