Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

So I have a logo designed in my AI CS3... And the printer says he wants it in an EPS format but a "real, not saved as.... EPS format"
    Does that mean I have to export the file? I tried exporting too but in my format options.. I dont see EPS...

Wattadoooo!!! Help!!!!
    Sharsimroy

Member #
    just "Save as" a .eps you will be fine.

The only real difference between .ai and .eps is that .ai is native to Adobe illustrator and supports more features. When you "save as" an eps you are creating a true eps file that can easily be interpreted by any post script program. He is probably asking for an eps because he either doesn't use adobe software, or he uses an old version of illustrator. Regardless, his comment about "true" eps vs "save as" eps is complete nonsense.

The funny thing about this while thing is that adobe is so prevalent that most software companies code their products to be able to read AI files.

Member #
    I have never heard "real, not saved as.... EPS format" before, unless the guy is referring a vector graphic rather than a bitmap file saved as an EPS, because then it is not scalable. It sucks when someone sends me a logo in EPS and it is just a Photoshop file placed in illustrator.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrluke View Post
    I have never heard "real, not saved as.... EPS format" before, unless the guy is referring a vector graphic rather than a bitmap file saved as an EPS, because then it is not scalable. It sucks when someone sends me a logo in EPS and it is just a Photoshop file placed in illustrator.
    This is true, the sad thing is that a professional printer should at least know how to specify what he really means when it comes to file formats and vector art.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What the printer means is that he wants an EPS that is totally vector and has no bitmaps in it. A vector EPS can be made any size and not have fuzzy edges.
    Many times when you ask someone for an EPS they will simply take a bitmap image and save it as an EPS. That type of EPS can't be sized because its still a bitmap.
    When you save the EPS in Illustrator make sure there are no bitmap images embedded in the file. That will not size either.
    This EPS thing is a huge problem for printers although he should have said vector instead of "real".
    istealkegs likes this.

Remove Ads