Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I have sketched out this 'G' for use as a logo and having found the bottom image 'vividways' I would like to use similar techniques. My Illustrator skills are basic and I am finding it very difficult to recreate the shape first and foremost without it looking off balance, sharp edges etc. I don't have to copy the sketch exactly and it can have more symmetry if there is a way to replicate it. Can anybody help please?

Many thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well, for someone with basic Illustrator knowledge, you definitely picked a somewhat complex project... This is kind of difficult, but I am going to do the best I can to try to help you. This is how I would do it. I attached a PDF to refer to the steps I am talking about. I really hope this makes sense.

Also, I did this quickly and it is by no means perfect. If you put some time in, you can definitely achieve something better.

1) I created a shape that I thought looked like the ribbon the G was made out of (#A: on my PDF) and made it into an Art Brush. (select it with black arrow, go to brush palette, click drop down menu>new brush>art brush)

2) Then I made a single stroke through the center of the G's path (#B).

3) I applied the brush we just made to that path (#C)

4) I then expanded the appearance of the path. Then I ungrouped the new shape that we have and deleted the original single stroke from the expanded outter shape. You will notice that parts of the shape overlap itself. To get rid of this, I just make a small circle or something that lays over top of the G (but it has to remain inside of the G's shape!) and then go to my PATHFINDER palette, and click ADD TO SHAPE AREA>EXPAND. This should leave you with a single shape of the G (#D).

5) I make some shapes that define the "overlaps" in the G's ribbon. (#E)

6) I then select all of the shapes and the G and go back to the PATHFINDER and click DIVIDE>EXPAND. Once I do that, I ungroup everything and delete all of the pieces that I dont want there, which leave you with what I have in (#F).

7) Finally I select the smallest cyan piece at the top and the largest G piece and go back to PATHFINDER and then click ADD TO SHAPE AREA>EXPAND to make them one piece again. This will ultimately leave you with what appears to be a flowing, overlapping ribbon in the shape of a G, but is actually a bunch of seperate pieces which you can apply different gradients and such to. (#G)

I really hope this helps. If you have any questions, or if I didn't explain something properly, let me know and I will try to help.

Good luck man.

Remove Ads