Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I'm starting a business creating art etc. files for people to print at home. I don't know what settings to use to make that happen. I was under the impression that as long as it was a pdf, it would work. Clearly not. When I print, the colors are all wrong.

Blue prints grey, green prints purple, etc. I can deal with a little discrepancy, but I have some settings wrong. I've done this before and then changed some settings but I don't know what they are? Color matching? Flattening everything in Illustrator, changing the way I save to pdf, etc. I mean if I'm going to be selling these, they have to at least sort of look like the colors represented on screen. Thank you so much for your help.

Any help greatly appreciated. I've been all over the internet and can't find help.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Most of the time when people see that is because.. the color space is not set to "RGB".. and almost all adobe programs will output to "CMYK" by default... slight differences in screen... but in print there is really a big difference.

CMYK is a four color separation mainly used if print medium because it is more easily reproduced on modern printing presses.

find the "default" color separation in your program and output to RGB.

a little more info about the differences http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 211928
    Most of the time when people see that is because.. the color space is not set to "RGB".. and almost all adobe programs will output to "CMYK" by default... slight differences in screen... but in print there is really a big difference.

CMYK is a four color separation mainly used if print medium because it is more easily reproduced on modern printing presses.

find the "default" color separation in your program and output to RGB.

a little more info about the differences http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model
    Man, now I'm really confused. I thought I was supposed to set it in CMYK because it was going to print, not the web. I can change it to RGB. So I just change the color mode in illustrator and re-save it as a pdf and try to print and it should work?

Member #
    I just did that and it worked. Huh! I'll test out the other files.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    YUP...

Just think of it this way... your MONITOR ( unless using a really high end monitor )... is RGB.. and you design in RGB... and your printer ( unless told otherwise ) prints in RGB...

CMYK is typically only used for OFFSET printing ( commercial )

now if what you are creating is suppose to be printed on a 4 color offset printer... you should leave it at CMYK... but expect a lot of differences between what you see on the screen and what you see in print...

if you want to design and print in CMYK... they make some monitors that will display very close to the CMYK colorspace... but a MAC will do it by default..

Member #
    Oh man. I have a mac. So if I am selling these digital files and I am advertising that you can print them at home or send them to a printer, should I do it in RGB? Or will the files then be messed up if people choose to print them somewhere other than their home printer?

I'm using Illustrator (CS3) and a brand new macbook pro.

Thank you so much for helping me.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by amyepatrick, post: 211938
    Oh man. I have a mac. So if I am selling these digital files and I am advertising that you can print them at home or send them to a printer, should I do it in RGB? Or will the files then be messed up if people choose to print them somewhere other than their home printer?

I'm using Illustrator (CS3) and a brand new macbook pro.

Thank you so much for helping me.
    The saddest thing is that I should know all of this. I went to graphic design school (i guess it was only for a semester) before grad school. should have just stayed I guess.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    As long as they are outputted to RGB, you'll be fine... if they choose to have them printed on an offset printer, the printer (company) they contract with will convert them to CMYK and explain the differences to them... You might want to mention the potential clients that if they plan on using your files for commercial printing... they should request a CMYK outputted file, and explain to them that THOSE files will not display properly on their computer screens... and should only be proofed on the commercial printer ( which is the standard process )...

as for your mac to display ( so you can design in CMYK )...those settings are buried in there somewhere... sorry , been a while since I've used a mac... but I remember them being there.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    don't feel bad... you'll get it...

My company hired a person that graduated in marketing with graphics design background... but she couldn't draw a stick figure without a ruler... and when I mentioned using a mask for a particular graphics project she was doing...

deer in the headlights...

I did all the graphics work for 6 years... and learned ( what little I know)... by trial and error

Member #
    I think I've got it. I thought you were saying that the mac inherently displayed in CMYK. If I'm outputting in RGB, shouldn't I design in RGB?

Otherwise I will just do what I'm doing (don't know which way my screen is displaying), output as RGB, save as a pdf and explain to the peeps that they may want a CMYK file.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads