Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Colours in Illustrator printing different then what I see on my screen?

Hello,

I've had this problem for ages but have had no idea how to fix it. Have lots to learn about Illustrator still but making it work. I'm on a Macintosh and using Illustrator CS6. When I go to print labels I notice the purple always prints blue. I have issues with other colours on and off like green and brown etc. Being searching for answers on online and currently have my File/Document Colour Mode set to CMYK and under print Colour Management I have the Print Preset to Custom then my printer to Epson 765, Color Handling to Let Illustrator determine colors then printer profile to Artisan 810 710 Premium Glossy, Rendering Intent to Relative Colormetric.

Tried switching my Colour Mode to RGB and then when printing choosing Rendering Intent to Relative Colormetric and checking RGB Numbers but getting a grey colour on plain paper. Keep using plain paper until I get the purple colour. Any purple will do I just want purple. I'm using Color # 352664 C 94% M 100% Y 29%, K 19%. Usually use colours from Color Books Pantone CMYK Uncoated or Coated.

What am I doing wrong?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You're dealing with several common issues, that most never think of.

You're ahead of the game because you already know and undestanding the difference between CMYK and RGB.

But what most people don't understand is that MOST monitors are not capable of displaying CMYK properly... So regardless of your print settings and printer... Looking at a CMYK setting on a monitor that isn't capable of displaying CMYK in print ready colors is just downright confusing ( don't worry, you're not alone, the first or the last )....

What you need are "PRINTED" CMYK and or Pantone charts... Looking at the ones online are only gonna confuse you more... If you have access to a PRINTED color chart from a true 4 color offset print shop, use those color codes and you should be fine...

So why is this such a difficult thing ( this is for those that have no clue what we are discussing )...

RGB color schemed is predicated on the basis that the "abscense" of all color is ( what we perceive as WHITE #FFFFFF, and all colors combined are perceived as black #000000 )

CMYK color scheme is predicated on the basis that the abscense of all color is BLACK and all colors combines is white ...

RGB is based on backlighting the colors, CMYK is based on layering the colors on top of each other and front lighting ... Because CMYK is a PRINTED color rendering ... Where little dots of individual colors are overlaid on each other to give you color ( get a microscope and look real close at a 4 color offset printed sheet ).

the last time I prices a monitor and video card that was actually capable of displaying true CMYK it cost more than the PC itself... I haven't really kept up with it... But I know MAC computer used to be able to, and that's why most decent print shops that still print on a 4 color offset printer, use MACs exclusively.

anytime I do a "PRINT" job... I pull out the old color wheels... Do everything except color checking on my printers... The print shop won't do anything but print color proofs and adjust colors before the final print.

Remove Ads