Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Logo Software

Member #

Logo Software

Hello and thanks for your help. I'm looking for a good logo software, hopefully under 100 dollars. Even a few months of subscription would be nice. I love Adobe, just not sure all the cost. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Ultimately, something with logos, headers, for info graphics would be ideal but I figure most logo software gives you them options. Thanks for your help!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Inkscape. It's free.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Try GIMP its also free...

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by juanDesign View Post
    Try GIMP its also free...
    Gimp is not a vector based software. When creating logos you want to create them in a vector based program so the image can be scaled and things without losings its resolution.

Inkscape is a free vector based program you can use. You can also get a free trial of Adobe Illustrator which is a higher end vector based program. I haven't used Inkscape so i cannot comment on how good the software is.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Banned
    Member #
    Sometimes you can just get away with designing a logo in word. I made this websites Tas-Tech | IT Consulting, Web-Design, and Computer Services in Mt. Airy, NC in just word. I downloaded a cool futuristic font and made the lettering red. I've done this many times and customers always seem to like it.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I normally wouldn't allow a link drop like that, but since it is relevant and since it is such an unusual way to do a logo, I'm going to allow it myself. If another mod removes the post, that's up to them, but hey...if you can do a logo in Word, more power to you.

I've actually had a client rough his logo out the same way since it was the easiest way to get his building signage built with his contractor and I ended up bringing his idea into Photoshop, adding some stuff, and putting it on his site. So it's not unheard of.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I don't know why I am typing a response since this was asked last month lol but oh well, depending on the application Gimp would fit perfect if you are looking to only create web graphics to business cards, flyers, etc. If you need to design larger art work for like car magnets or shop signs then yes you would need a vector based program like Illustrator. I own both Photoshop and Illustrator, and I perfer to use PS over Illy especially if I am doing smaller artwork.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx View Post
    I don't know why I am typing a response since this was asked last month lol but oh well, depending on the application Gimp would fit perfect if you are looking to only create web graphics to business cards, flyers, etc. If you need to design larger art work for like car magnets or shop signs then yes you would need a vector based program like Illustrator. I own both Photoshop and Illustrator, and I perfer to use PS over Illy especially if I am doing smaller artwork.
    Theres actually reasons to use a program depending on what it is you are trying to accomplish. I have seen where someone has designed something in ps and the printer charged them a small fee to reproduce it as a vector format.

For example. A logo should be created in a vector based program because of the many uses it will be utilized in. With PS your limited to size. For illustrator your size can be altered as often as you like. So you can create 1 logo at 1 size that can be used on everything from a business card to a vehicle wrap. Had the logo been done in ps you would be recreating it for the business card size, one for the wrap, and one for every size in between that you may or may not be using.

Another example is i was just hired to remake an image created in ps for a poster/flyer. It started as a contest for a local art event that is happening in Oct. The contest was to create a flyer for the event. The event people liked the artwork so much they wanted to use it on other items such as umbrellas to tshirts, some magnets and so on. Only problem is the winner of the project did it in PS and the size cannot be used on all these different promotional products. So the event which is completely non profit has to pay me to redo the work on top of paying the winner the $500 prize!

For things being used on the web, PS is sufficient enough.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    missy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I stated "depending on the application" it depends. Personally though I would rather design in PS than Illi any day as PS is so much easier to use. When I design logos I ask what exactly is their goal with it and then I do my mock ups in PS and then if they need it for larger application I will then make it a vector in Illustrator. As for print media such as flyers, business cards and such there is no reason for it to be in vector format. The idea behind printing is DPI and you can get what you need for these print medias with out having to use Illy. I have designed campaign flyers, business cards, designing a concert poster as I type this all in PS. Saying all of this doesn't mean I don't use or like Illustrator, I use Illy for Political Campaign signs and Banners, I have also made logos for businesses car wraps and storefront signs, but if they don't need this, then I am using PS due to it's ease of use.
    missy likes this.

Member #
    Why do you not just download and use adobe Illustrator or Photoshop? You can get one application for $9.99 I believe it is,(under $10) a month on adobe creative cloud, oh and you can download the Creative Cloud Applications manager thing that will then let you download a program and try it for 30 days before you even commit to the under 10 bucks a month. I would say go get a trial of photoshop first, watch some youtube videos and start using it. The free online ones cannot possibly stack up to Photoshop so if you want it to be professional and done right I would use that. Oh and dont use your 30 day trail by downloading photoshop and illustrator at the same time, you would be too consumed trying to learn both and you only get 30 days for them so do one at a time and then pick one to buy monthly subscribtion for through creative cloud

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads