Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Making a map to scale - and showing dimensions

I have created a map in Adobe Illustrator. I used an image from Google Earth, and traced the buildings and pathways. Now, I want to add the dimensions onto this image. Is there an easy way to use AI to make sure that everything in my map is to scale? Even if I should have done this before I created the map, please let me know the steps. I will happily do it over again to make sure it is to scale.

Member #
    Liked
    545 times
    What do u mean making it to scale?

AI is a vector software and vector can scale up and down with ease. What do you mean by add dimensions?

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    I am using the map to help plan some additions to the area. So for example, I have a space that I know is 182' by 365. I know my drawing is to those dimensions because I outlined a picture of it. I want to create something next to it that is 20' x 120'. Can I use AI to accomplish this?
    Last edited by RachelLynn; Dec 09th, 2014 at 12:32 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    545 times
    Honestly, you got me there. I have no idea but i would assume not.

Id think this would require some sort of architecture software like autodesk?

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    You can do it in few ways.
    - When draw an element you can find its dimensions and positions in inputs where you can set new dimensions (In Control panel, usually under main menu)
    - there is Measure tool (next to Eyedropper) to check dimension of what ever, in combination with Info panel (ctrl + F8)
    - If you want to mark an area in given dimensions you can use ruler (ctrl + r), drag left up ruler corner to start position of the area you want to mark (this will set document zero position). Then, you can drag guides from vertical, and horizontal ruler respectively to zero position first and another two guides to 20 and 120'.
    When finish, check with right click on guides that "Lock guides" is checked.

Remove Ads