Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Is it possible to remove the anti-alias on text in Flash MX. It's just that I think Trebuchet MS, size 11 looks better with no anti-alias

If you can't do it in flash, is there a way to get non-anti-aliased text into flash mx?
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Flash's whole fetish is about having burry, ... aliased edges. I think this is partialy why you see alot of flash sites using bitmap/pixel fonts for body text. I posted an example of the different settings, atleast the ones I've found.

If you wanted to get crisp text into Flash you could write it out in whatever package, Fireworks/PS, save it as a gif and import into Flash. (Ctrl+R) It won't be as clear as normal OS handled text though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    OK. Guess I'll have to try that. Maybe they should bring out an edition of Flash with the option of no anti-alias on text...
    Rednerve

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Set it to htmlText and it will not antialias.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    In MX2004 there's an option under text properties (the little box on the bottom) that allows you to choose what kind of anti-aliasing.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Transio, one problem...on Flash, when I type text, the convert to HTML thing (the '<>' button) is greyed out and I can't use it.

EDIT: When I use Dynamic Text then it's there, but when I use it, it makes no difference. It looks like it's not anti-aliased when I type it. But when I click away it is anti-aliased.
    Rednerve

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Another thing you need to make sure of is that you have zero-ed out your text!! Many people do not know that you need to do that. What that means is make sure your text is sitting on a whole pixle. (EXAMPLE: x:56 y:209 as opposed to something like x:56.2 y:209.7).

Member #
    Yeah I know that. But what about the render text as HTML thing?
    Rednerve

Member #
    I can't say I have done a whole bunch of flash work, but my understanding is that what you want to do is 1)use a pixel font, 2) find out what the base # of pixels is, so say its an 8 pt font... only put in multiples of 8 - so 8 16 24 32 etc. 3) like Glyakk said - make sure it is zeroed out, otherwise its gonna alias anyway

The slickest flash sites seem to do this... at least the ones that aren't part of the 'wicked worn look' which is pretty common these days.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads