Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi guys,

What I've been attempting to do is to compose the image framework of my site in Photoshop, slice it, and "save for web" into a gif/table structure.

Then I open it in Dreamweaver, put layers overtop of the content boxes etc, and type my content into the layer boxes (sometimes after inserting a table into the layer to keep it organized).

The problem I'm having is it looks good in the Dreamweaver design window, but when I preview or publish it, the layers aren't lined up properly with the images anymore.

Also, when I "fake it" by putting the layers in a spot where the preview/live copy looks right, it only works in one resolution (currently 1024 res which I use). If I go to 1280 res, the layers move again and aren't positioned properly.

I wonder - is it because I need to insert the layer *into* the gif-table cell itself, rather than drawing it overtop? It seems like when I try to do that the cells move and the image slices lose alignment.

Any tips? I love the flexibility of designing the page this way but can't figure out how to get from PS7 image to something I can actually add HTML text content to.

Many thanks in advance,

Jarrett

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Alas you have found the biggest problem I have with dreamweaver.. Dreamweaver has poor css rendering capabilities, espeically in case of elements who have a been given a position value such as relative, absolute, fixed.. And all a layer is, is an absolute positioned div with some other css applied to it. Since I design exclusivly with css all my layouts look horribly mangled in dreamweaver, but perfect in a browser. The trick is to ignore the design view and concentrate only on the code. Of course this will require that you know how to write proper code, and most people dont. Witch is why I think that dreamwever layers are a waste of time on macromedias time to develop. Its a featuer they added to dreamweaver that dosent even work!!

The main reason why I still use dreamwever is its site management featuers are far better then anytyhing else I have tried.. but I rarely use it to design anymore.

Member #
    What I do when I create a site in the same manner as you is that when in Dreamweaver, I go ahead and make a table,(ie. 6rowsx6columns) since you can add or delete tables whenever and wherever you need them. It really works out for me that way but every once in awhile I will encounter a problem such as my images not lining up with each other. What I do is experiment with the %of the image size. Since it usually isn't but a little off, this won't distort the image. I hope I have helped out what problem you have!
    :classic:
    --Kevin
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    "Of course this will require that you know how to write proper code, and most people dont."

Ah, that would be me I'm an amateur, sitting at my desk surrounded by "Visual Quickstart" books (great books!).

You know, I think I made things harder than they had to be. Seems to me if I just set the PS7 table export so that all the gif's are cell backgrounds instead of source docs, I can then type overtop of them - no? The danger is if I accidentally make a cell too big all the alignments of the images will be messed up.

Tricky business!

TA

Member #
    I guess I didn't understand your question after reading glyakk's response...
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glyakk
    Of course this will require that you know how to write proper code, and most people dont.
    I did not mean this in offending context. But Macromedia knows that most dreamweaver users exclusivly use dreamweaver in design view witch means they dont get into the code. And the fact that you have to know the code to get dreamwever to work properly seems like a huge contridiction to the whole purpose of the program so you dont have to get into the code to use it properly. So since layers are a featuer that macromedia added to this program, I think they should render properly in design view.

EDIT: Here is a post that shows a good example of what i typically see in dreamweaver as opposed to a browser when I am designing..

Member #
    Oh, no offense taken and I totally agree

Remove Ads