Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Splitting jpg

Member #
    Guys,

Just been advised to split a jpg on my header so it loads quicker ......... don't laugh, but I don't know how to do it! Can ne1 help?

Member #
    well im assuming i know how to do this cuz it sounds pretty easy.. open the header in photoshop slice it up then save it for web... or open the header image in photoshop or watever software u got, cut it into 1/2 or 3/4 whatever and save each peice as there own file like 1.jpg, 2.jpg, etc.. then set up a table with 4 cells and set those pics as the cell bg's

make sure u set the cellpadding, cellspacing, and border to "0"

hope i didint confuse u and this somewhat helps

Member #
    Thanks Mister!! Just what I needed ..... and I like the fact it's nice and easy!
    Does it make any difference at all how I save it - given the 2 options you suggest?

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Save them to different qualities. Make it so they don't look stupid though.

This optimizes speed, greatly.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply.
    When loading my page, the header still takes a long time to load. The largest slice of the header is 12kb ...... have I saved to too high a quality?

Member #
    Any quality value between 50-70 usualy optimises well but it's a case of trial and error. You should also save each individual slice using the most approprite format.

ie GIF/PNG for flat areas of colour and JPEG for lots of colours / gradients / photographs etc.

If you uploaded an attachment of the header itself it would give us more information to go by; you seem to be in the right direction at the momment.

Remove Ads