Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello.
    I am curious as to what range one would charge for creating graphics for a website. I have a RFP for taking digital individual pictures of 1500 different products and editing/cropping in photoshop each image into a full size and a thumbnail.
    Any ideas how much one would charge?
    As I am not a professional photographer, the charge backs would most certainly be not for the photography but for the cropping of the image. Though It will definately take some time to take 1500 individaul photos.
    So far my own calculations seem to be too awfully high for the client, but i also don't wish to underbid myself.
    Any help and/or insight would be appreciated!
    Thanks, eric

Member #
    Taking 1500 pictures and then editing 1500 images sounds like it would take a while. Say you can take care of 10 images an hour (shooting the image, editing the image, cropping the image, etc). That's 150 hours of work (and 10 images an hour may be too high an estimate).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by splufdaddy
    Taking 1500 pictures and then editing 1500 images sounds like it would take a while. Say you can take care of 10 images an hour (shooting the image, editing the image, cropping the image, etc). That's 150 hours of work (and 10 images an hour may be too high an estimate).
    That's actually the exact formula i was using to come up with a quote. Freelance coding rates are between 20-30/hr, however this rate puts the bid awfully high. Is there a common rate per hour for this kind of work? I am located in the Mpls/St Paul metro.

thanks, eric

Member #
    The bid may be high, but this is a lot of work they're asking for. Looking at it another way: even if you charged them $1500, that's only $1 per item which includes shooting, uploading and editing. Personally, I'd charge more than that.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    They're asking for a lot of work, so don't be afraid to bid high - believe it or not many companies throw out proposals that are priced too low. It shows lack of confidence.

Think of it rationally, are these products approxomately the same size? Are you only going to have to set up the tri-pod, background and shoot away 1500 times? If so, this is the way I'd think of it:

-1 hour for camera setup, lighting, backgorund.
    -Approxomately 5 minutes per item to photograph and transfer to computer
    -If relatively light editing is needed, I'm going for 10-15 minutes per photo editing time.
    -3 hours in setup time for handling the 1500 products (!!!! That's a lot of physical stuff)

Add that all together, my estimateed time would be Approxomately 400-500 hours worth of work.

Are you doing this in your own home or office? Think about overhead. Let's give them a low-ball price of $30 an hour for this. This is REALLY LOW for professional digital photography. So that totals to $12,000-15,000. Be a good freelancer and Multiply by 1.2 (usually goes to 1.5) for overhead.

My Estimate: 14,000-18,000 depending on unknown circumstances.

This is not an irrational amount of money to ask for. Let's review it, it's going to take you minimum 400 hours to do this... that's 10 weeks full-time work - over three months. You're providing a specialized service and (maybe) using your own facilities (computer, camera, house) to complete it. If they sent out the RFP to a pro-studio I wouldn't be shocked to find their bids come in around 50-75k.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Yeah, if you are professional and doing a good job (which I'm sure you are) then I'm with Brak. It is gonna be a lot of work. And a pro studio probably would charhe 50 - 70k as well!
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Remove Ads