Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Firsly, thank you for reading my thread.

I have been dabbling with a bit of web design for a while now and am learning new stuff all the time (most recently seen the light with CSS !!).

I have two questions, if anyone could comment I would appreciate it!

1) Is there an easy way I can get from a multi layered photoshop/fireworks layout, with text, to an html page in Dreamweaver, so that the text does not become an image?

Basically, I have got hold of very nice template I want to use for a new site. I have the .psd and the matching .html and .css file. I have made quite a few modifications to the .psd template regarding text and putting in a logo etc. and have got the layout in photoshop exactly as I want it.

Now what should I do?

Is there an easy way i can get it to update the .html file? - or is this too much in one step?

Basically I want to do my layouts in photoshop/fireworks, slice them up and output them, but want the text to remain text! - not a picture ... At the moment I am doubling up on work all the time as I do the layout and then try to re-create it in Dreamweaver with tables etc. - often getting frustrated in the process!

In this case, I already have the base .html and a nice .css so just want the photoshop to update it!

2) In dreamweaver again, I created a test page using CSS. It previews ok in the browser but not the preview plane at the bottom of Dreamweaver (i.e. when I do split screen view of code and design) .... any ideas? ... incendentally the template .html file mentioned above, previews perfectly in dreamweaver - although it might be using absolute rather than relative position locations - will check. The relative ones just stack-up on top of one another ... but are ok in the browser.

I am using Dreamweaver MX and Photoshop 7, pretty current but not the latest I know.

Thanks again in advance for your comments - hope this is posted in the right place!

Sam :classic:

Member #
    The preview pane of dreamweaver is a bit sketchy for me... Just make divs and position them wherever... I don't know of anything quicker, I am sure that photoshop and imageready do not put through their text to ascii..
    SORIA Inc. My First Stab At Creating A Site...

Member #
    Thanks for the post.
    Yeah that is what is happening, it is taking the div's and previewing them where ever ... I was on the macromedia website and the new version of MX, MX 2004, seems to do a better job - anyone had any experience of this? Worth the upgrade?
    Spoken to a friend of mine about the photoshop issue ... he says he normally creates stuff in say fireworks, slices it up, outputs the html, imports it into dreamweaver and simply deletes the blanks or text pictures, replacing them with text in dreamweaver. This is what I was doing before, but you end up with loads of spacer images, (holding the table sizes together) which I think is really crazy.
    Maybe I do just need to do the rough layouts in photoshop, us it just for the images, and then create/design the page layout just in Dreamweaver ... I just can't help feeling I am missing a trick at not being able to output a text layer from photoshop! ... Have found a link to loads of photoshop tutorials on this site, so will have a look in there to see ... I can't believe I am the first person to have come accross this situation?

Any comments appreciated ...

Member #
    For the .psd files, I wouldn't suggest putting text in while working in the graphics editor. What you should do is slice it appropriately and then in dreamweaver add text. Even if you have the .html file I would still export the .psd after being sliced from fireworks or photoshop as html. hop this helps.

Member #
    Yep this helps. As long as I know am not missing anything obivious then I'll carry on as before. Would be a nice feature though!

now I need some help with setting up databases but that is another forum area! ...

thanks guys. Sam

Remove Ads