Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,
    i have a website www.birdieanddoodle.com. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I could get rid of the white background behing the logo? A graphic artist did the logo and sent it to me as a jpg file, she keeps telling me I should be able to make the background transparent but I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance

Member #
    You will require a graphics/image manipulation package such as Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Photo Imapct etc. Using the tools within the software you are able to select the white and remove it before outputing it as a .gif/.png format (these support tranparent pixes)

Ask her if she still has the editable master copy of the logo, if this is the case then she should be able to provide a version without a background for you. If you were to do the same with the version already on the site the quality would begin to degrade because it uses .jpg compression (which is not suitable for this type of image)

There're plenty of people qualified to help you on this forum if you are willing to compromise slightly on the final image quality. If you already own such software then all you need to do is a little research.

[searchweb]remove image background[/searchweb]

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    You cannot make the background of a jpg transparent because a the jpg format does not hold color information and therefor cannot determin what is background and what isnt. But as trico stated, a gif or png8(not png24 since IE does not nativly support png alpha transparancy) would accomplish what you are wanting to do since they both support binary transparancy.

If your designer does not know how to do this try to obtain the orgional working document. This could be a number of various formats for either Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.. and I am sure somebody here would not mind doing this for you, maybe for free..

Member #
    a reputable logo designer knows not to send you just a JPG, unless that was some contract arrangement you had with the designer, like maybe you got a cheaper price or some such. However, it's standard in the industry to supply the client with an EPS file of a logo because they use it in many different applications.

I don't know all the circumstances. Maybe the designer already sent you an EPS and is tired of sending them. That seems to happen a lot - clients lose the CD you send and then keep calling everytime someone needs the logo.

In any case, if I were you I'd ask for an EPS version of the logo that has been converted to outlines. Converting it to outlines is important. If they don't convert it to outlines then that means you need to have the fonts they used to create it. Not likely to happen.

If the designer doesn't want to send it for free, you should offer to pay something small like $5 just to get it, maybe $20. I know this doesn't sound fair but at this point it wouldn't be about being fair, it would be about getting a good copy of your logo so you don't run into this again. Getting pissy with the designer may ensure you never get it. Offering some small token payment may just get it for you.

Edit:
    I attached a GIF version of your logo. You should know a few things about it. It's not a great GIF because all I had to work with was the JPG on your site, so it's already compressed. Also, you should save a GIF with transparency of whatever colour it will be seen on, if you can pick a colour. This GIF was saved with tranparency but not to any particular colour so it maye look a bit odd on the edges.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remove Ads