Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Anyone got any advice or recommendations for programs (hopefully not TOO expensive) that will allow some form of quality control when reducing the size of JPEGs for use on Web pages?

My friend and I have used Irfanview, which is great for a free program, but getting decent quality presentation of photographs at around 10kb per item seems to be beyond it.

Another friend of mine suggested that the problem might stem from the fact that a digital camera has already introduced its own form of compression, but

a) she's been messing around with this stuff for not much longer than I have and

b) I've no idea how to find out whether her hearsay is correct.

So I thought this would be a good place to ask, since youse folks know just about anything that's worth knowing. (Though I must admit that I'd probably take my queries on matters philosophical elsewhere...) :devious:
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Maybe this will help, maybe not..

The best piece of software I have ever used for jpg compression is ProJPEG from BoxTop Software. It is relatively inexpensive at about $50US. But the biggest downside is it's a plugin, and requires photoshop to work.

Although I belive it also works with some other software like Paint shop pro.

Reguarding the digital camara compression issue. If your camera is producing jpgs it is already compressing them, and that is like making a copy from a copy you are not going to get steller results but you can still get very decent results if you work the file properly.

Member #
    Adobe Photoshop Elements - $99
    not the full Photoshop, not the full cost either. Has a lot fo similar stuff though. Basically it leaves stuff out that you'd use for print work.

Most "affordable" digital cameras do compress the image. JPG is a compressed image. Sometimes this is the "native" format of the camera because the camera doesn't save it's RAW version, it just pumps out a JPG and that's that. Now, depending on the camera, the JPG may not be compressed all that much, or if used on the web may be big enough that you';ll be able to use the image just fine. Just read your manual and find out how you can get the highest resolution out of it. It'll eat your card alive but you'll have better photos. it really depends on the camera, it's settings, and what you need the photo for.

By the time you see a 20-40K JPG it's been compressed to the point where it starts to get tough to re-purpose and re-save the image without realy noticing the compression artifacts that result from JPG format. You may indeed have trouble getting any 10K JPG photograph to look good at any decent size. Again it depends on what size and how good you need it to look.

Remove Ads