Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Design Layout

Member #
    I am relatively new to website desing in general. I know about the concept of java,html,php,css,etc. But I am having a real problem putting it all together. I have business site I am working on which was in place when I took it over. I want to redesign this site and give it a consistent look and feel all the way through. My main problem is I don't understand how to make all my pages look the same? What should I use to do this. I only have created a few under 5 sites, and need tremendous help. I only used notepad on my first 3 sites and now they have me using (bad as I have heard it is) Frontpage 2003. Any input from you guys that may help me will be gratefully appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I am not really sure how to answer this question since it deals with a subjective topic. There is a subtly to creating a site that has a unified look, its more a skill than something you can learn. What you are trying to do is create a site that does not look scatterbrained right? It flows and is easy to navagate. It has a distict appearance and no matter what page you are on, it will reflect the whole design of the site. You would use some graphics editing program to create images and do mock-up designs to make sure your ideas work. CSS would be very benificial to you.

It is hard to go into any depth since this is almost the elusive goal each designer is striving to achieve, and why designers exist. There is no one way to do it, and there is no one tool that you need.

Member #
    Hmm........O.K. I am pretty good with content filling, updates,etc. I have in my mind a basic scheme in mind if you can call it that? Do I have to include my menu's and my background that I decide to go with for every single page? Or do I use an Iframe to load my basic text pages into my main page? Do I call something to load a pre-made template or what? Am I making sense here? Like I said I am totally confused (too much reading I assume)on how to include this banner and this menu and this background on every single page without coding it that way? Surely, there is a better way? I hope.........thx for the reply

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Yes you can use includes for things like this..

Includes are a way for various languages to call another file/document as if it were part of the main document.

For instance lets say you were using php. You could make a seperate document that made up your whole menu system, then you could call it from any page by using this code.
    PHP Code:
    <html>
    <body>
    <?php

include 'menu.htm';
    ?>
    </body>
    </html>
    The benifite besides less code is if you had to update your menu, you only had to change one file.

Member #
    ok.........this sounds like what I am looking for. Which I thought it was before but then I got to reading about setting it up on our server, etc. and it sounded quite difficult to do? Our main page right now is named default.asp which leads me to believe this is what I should use? (ASP) If not please advise? thx

Remove Ads