Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    This is probably a majorly simple question, but heck, here goes. I am wanting to now how you can texture a rectangle in Photoshop with diagonal lines - like those found in Fireworks. I have searched the internet and found nothing. Any ideas?
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    I would think you could just make a pattern. Create a small square new doc with transparent background. I would use the pencil tool to draw a diagonal line. If you made the document 2x2 px, your lines will be very close, likewise if you make the document 10x10 px, your lines will be quite a bit farther apart. Now just Select All and Define Pattern. Name it, then go back to your orginal document, select the area, then use the paint bucket with the pattern option. Find your newly created pattern, and click.

I think this is a way to do it, I may be wrong, not currently at a computer with PS. If it's wrong, I'm sure someone will correct it. Otherwise, hope I helped.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Unlike fireworks there is no 'bult in' functionality for this. But you can still achieve it quite simply.

First you have to create a pattern, than you apply that pattern to the layer your rectangle is on either by using layer styles, or by filling your rectangle with the pattern, or even by using the brush tool in come cases. Of course many of these methods require you have at least photoshop 6.0.

To create a pattern you generally start with a very small image, I usually work with images around 10px by 10px when I make patterns. But it all depends on your perticular pattern. The whole point is to make an image that will tile properly. To save you the trouble, I attatched a small image that you can use as your pattern. Open this image and go to edit > define pattern and give it a name in the pop up box. Now its avaliable for you to use. Go the the layer with your rectangle and double click it. This will bring up the layer styles dialog box(v6.0+). Select Pattern overlay and pattern box select your new diagonal pattern. You can also adjust the size of your pattern as well as other properties. Accept the settings and you are done..

You can also paint with your patterns as well as use it as a fill.

Hope this clears things up.

BAH!! I was too slow..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Ah but yours is far more precise, well thought out and useful.

Member #
    Yeah, thanks, I sorted it now.
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Remove Ads