Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    When I want to open a non psd in Photoshop I simply browse to the file, right click and choose open with and select Photoshop. Photoshop opens but the file does not. This happens on every file including jpg, gif and bmp.

To open files I have to open through photoshop which takes longer and is annoying. Can anyone help me please?

I'm running XP home & Photoshop 7.0

Thanks

Paul.

Member #
    Sounds like messed-up Windows registry settings, the easiest way to get rid of the problem is to backup your PS settings and reinstall PS7. I would need to see your registry closer to actually fix it, most likely a uninstall/reinstall is the fastest way to fix this.

Member #
    Thanks but I found the answer to my problem, you were on the right track... This answer was found on the Adobe Photoshop forum.

XP/Win2k has put in a bad registry key used for opening that kind of file. If you feel *comfortable* editing the registry, you can find the bad key at

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell \open\command\(Default)

For some reason, sometimes Windows XP creates this key the first time without "%1" at the end. Delete the (Default) entry, go to Windows Explorer, select a file type you want to open in Photoshop, right click, go to Open With, select Choose Program, click Browse (Photoshop won't be in the list after deleting the registry key), select your Photoshop executable, and make sure "Always use..." is checked.

If you do not feel comfortable editing the registry DO NOT DO THIS.

You can work around it by dragging the image onto the Photoshop main window background after Photoshop is opened.

Member #
    Yeah, that makes sense. Without %1 at the end the program won't know which file to open since the Windows shell won't pass the path information onwards. Nice one.

Remove Ads