Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

I hope I am posting to the correct forum. I am not a professional web designer (as you will see when you visit our website); but I did do the website for our kennel. I am trying to add a new puppy to the existing puppy page, and am having problems when I resize the pictures. Most of the pictures that the puppy's owner has sent to me were shot at a 1024 fine setting. Here is the link to the Puppy page http://www.endoftheroadkennels.com/gallery.htm. As you can see, I have thumbnails of the puppies/dogs, and when any image it clicked, it opens to that puppy's page (Angus is the one I would like to add, his link doesn't work, because I haven't uploaded his page yet). I'd like to do his page the same way if possible, any suggestionson how to make the pictures smaller without losing clarity would be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    What software are you using to resize the images you've been given?

Down scaling an image that big to a thumbnail won't necessarily reduce the quality, but it might not be as detailed as you simply can't fit as many pixels into a smaller space.

Member #
    I usually use PSP to resize the images, but in this case, I didn't. I inidcated the size for the image in the html code.

Member #
    Well that is what's causing your problem. The HTML width & height should only really need to be used to define the existing dimension of the image so tables can render easier on the page.

To rescale a large photo in this way is extremely crude and will not look as good. You should probably go back to using PSP to shrink the images down. In the end you need 1 thumbnail and 1 large full quality version... using the image for both, but simply using HTML to control the size is not very preferable.

Remove Ads