Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello all,

I have been having success in creating web sites and now want to learn to incorporate animation into future sites. I have no knowledge regarding animation (but work with photoshop).

Can you recommend what sort of software I should be looking for to hone my animation skills. Books? Tutorials? Any advice is welcome

Thanks in advance

P

Member #
    Flash MX 2004 and Learn Flash MX 2004 in 24 Hours is what I used.. Then I got more interested in the FREE xhtml/css .. As far as I know Flash is the ruler of web animation.. and www.flashkit.com is a great site for flash tutorials..
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    Thanks Physt

Thanks for the advice Physt. I have been researching web animation and, you are right, Flash seems to be the big noise. I have an additional (very basic) question for you and other readers of this forum. What is the relationship between Flash and Dreamweaver MX (or Macromedia, for that matter...are they the same thing? are they different?).

I guess I don't quite understand if I can begin to learn Flash animation techniques and incorporate them into my already existing HTML web design skills or do I need to start all over, learning how to build web sites from the ground up using Dreamweaver.

Thanks for your patience.
    Sincerely,
    P

Member #
    Flash is sold as a package with Macromedia Studio, or seperately.. You don't need one application to use another.. A basic knowledge of HTML will suffice..

Dreamweaver is simply the best HTML editor(and many other web languages) .. Flash is great for web animation, but users need the flash plugin(and the newest version), in order to look at a flash site, or animation.. If you simply want animation on your website you could use DHTML/Javascript and CSS/XHTML along with others to create a stunning site.. That's what most web developers use..

Flash would be the best case for high end, graphical designs with moving parts.. But it wouldn't be too good for an ecommerce site, or an often-updated site, like a blog.. There are ways to mix Flash and XML or Flash and XHTML/PHP to create good sites too..

Your best bet is to study all of the options and match it with your interests... Don't spend more money than you have to, if you don't know you will love doing this.. and making money at it.. These are the best applications, and as such cost the most money..

I hope this helps you make your decision..

Patrick
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    ...are they the same thing? are they different?
    They are very different.

...do I need to start all over, learning how to build web sites from the ground up using Dreamweaver.
    No you won't, far from it... the more you can do without Dreamweaver the sharper your skills will most likely be.

Macromedia produce a whole range of software products geared towards different areas of design and development similar to Adobe. Macromedia focuses strongly on New Media whilst Adobe's realm is print.

• Freehand is used for vector illustration and page layout. On the other hand anything in Freehand can easily be exported for animating in Flash.

Flash is a vector animation package used primarily for the web, but it can be utilised in other ways such as integrating with Director It's also capable of incorporating sound and video (From the sound of things this is what you'll be most interested in learning.)

Fireworks sucks. It attempts to be everything yet succeeds at nothing. It's something to be avoided. (used for extremely basic web graphics. It's capable of utilizing both vector and bitmap environments.

Dreamweaver is your multi-purpose (WYSIWYG) web page layout and general coding application. If you already understand the languages you use fairly competently then this will probably only serve you in saving time through a faster work flow but may also allow you to add another app to your résumé.

Director the bigger and more powerful brother of Flash, it's used for developing interactive CD-ROMs, presentations and kiosk designs etc. It is better equipped for animating bitmap graphics as opposed to vector... but it's also capable of incorporating Flash, video, 3D files into a project.

If you've ever used Flash and Director you'll discover they're both a backwards version of each other doing essentially the same thing for a slightly different purpose.

Contribute is used for managing the content of a website, it can assign who are eligible for carrying out updates as part of a team, FTP and organisation etc. (As far as I know, I've never used it.)

Member #
    Thanks!

Thank you both Physt and Trico,

All your advice is great and makes a great deal of sense. Since I am just beginning my journey into animation I think I will just head to the bookstore today and get some elementary text to get me started. There is nothing better than an excuse to buy a new computer related book(s)!
    Thanks again and have a great holiday

P.

Remove Ads