Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,
    I would like to know what's the difference between a normal image file and a vectorial image file. And how can I make a vectorial image file?

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    The difference between Vector and Raster(bmp, jpg etc) are pretty big..

Vector is made by mathimatical calculations that you set using the pen/line/shape tool etc.. You can set many effects for vector graphics.. They can be very complex or very simple.. The file sizes are very small because they don't have to have all the info for every pixel in it.. Vector is best suited for logos/animation/simple images with little detail...

Raster on the other hand is a file filled with the info for every pixel.. Location, color etc... Landscapes/pictures/graphical GUI effects would be best suited for raster.. Raster is much easier to learn and all of the basic art programs support it much better.. You should not use vector to try to recreate an advanced image because the file-size will become to large..

So vector for simple.. raster for detailed..

Photoshop is the primary tool for graphic artists.. It is mainly a Raster oriented program but does have decent support for vectors.. Adobe illustrator and Macromedia Fireworks are the standard applications for working with vector.. They are much harder to learn and there are much less free details about them on the net..

If you just want to do webdesign or photo manipulation it is recommended that you use raster.. photoshop/paintshop pro ... Otherwise you could venture into vector..

I hope this helps..

Patrick
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    Just adding more details...

Vector images can be resized without loss of information. The mathematic equations define relative paths, strokes and fills.

Flash uses vectors.

Clarification: I think vector-handling has only become available with Photoshop in version 7. There are only four tools in Photoshop for vectors: text, shape, pen, and arrow. But, in Photoshop, there are options to make these tools function as bitmaps (or rasterize later). Vectors in Photoshop cannot be universally transformed and some filters cannot be applied to them.

Raster:
    Photoshop, .psd, .gif, .jpg, .png

Vector:
    Illustrator, Flash, .ai, .fla, .swf, .eps

Whether you use raster or vector depends on what you are designing. For websites, as Physt mentioned, you'll want rasterized images, but for Flash movies and logos, you'll want vectors.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    The ideia is to create a logo for a publication in a magazine.

David

Member #
    You will most likely want to use software along the lines of Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia Freehand, Corel Draw, Xara X... etc. These are all applications that deal with vectors.

Avoid trying to use Photoshop or Fireworks for creating your logo; you won't get true vector precision or likely the right export options. The difficulty of trying to construct your logo in these packages will also be increased significantly.

Learning to use vectors isn't hard, once you've become adequately familiar with the Pen tool and manipulating anchor points through the tangent handles there is little you can't achieve.

The limiting factor with vector work is your own personal ability to draw objects, people etc and coming up with an original concept/idea/central theme to work with. You're not going to find a tutorial on the net on 'how to be a creative designer'.

Remove Ads