Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I want to create a 3-state rollover button....I've created one both in Photoshop with ImageReady, and Fireworks, but both save the file as a .html file. Isn't it possible to make it so its .gif or .jpg?

Member #
    Well, I believe in order to make a 3-state button you will need some code to go along with it, thus it saving it as a .html file. Prolly gonna have to have someone else answer this, because I have rarely used ImageReady.

Member #
    depending on what webdesign program your using there should be an option to create a rollover on an image, which u can then link to the images that you want it to rollover to. Yes, when creating a rollover in a photo/illustration program it is going to create the code automatically for you. If you look at the source of the .html, you should see this. I suggest just creating your three images that you want to rollover to and then manually entering them in the design program.
    If your coding by hand then look for a guide online for some code on rollovers.

Member #
    Is it possible to do this with flash, and have the file as a .swf?

Member #
    You cannot create a rollover as a single gif or jpeg. You need at least 2 static images, and you can do a third. I generally label mine button.gif, button_over.gif and button_down.gif. Then you add code so when the button is touched (and pressed) different images appear in the same location.

In ImageReady, you would have to use the rollover pallete to create new rollover states. Modify only the new rollover layer! ** Make sure to go back to the original or you'll have a lot of lost work/clean up.

However, I think it is generally better to apply the rollover in your html editor.

In Dreamweaver, when you insert>rollover image, all you have to do is link to the different states and DW will generate the code (usually javascript) for you.

In Flash, you make the button a symbol and define each state in a new key frame. However, if you're not familiar with Flash, I would avoid trying to figure it out for something so small.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Thankyou for your help

Remove Ads